DMV question

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's "Out of the system" in that it's not in the computer. But they still have the archives. When I had to dispose of a truck that had been rolled in 1982 and never registered or titled since then (this was in 2002, 20 years) it wasn't in the computer but to get a release I had to have title. They pulled the archives (took 3 weeks) and found the guy I bought it from still had title to it (he thought the State pulled title when it was totalled in 1982, but they didn't).

Same thing when I went to register a car in 2001 that hadn't been licensed since 1986. Fortunately, they HAD the title, but they still had to go to the archive to determine the title was valid. Though in that case it ended up being in the system, since the owner had made a query at some point it reset the counter.

This of course is Washington. Cali has its own issues- like the penalty for re-registering an expired registration.

The nice thing about Washington is you don't get "penalized" when registering a car that's been unregistered for years. California that's not the case, I bought a truck once down there that the owner never registered because he would have been on the hook for 5 years back registrations. The truck didn't run and had been in storage, but Cali wanted their cash. Since I hauled it to WA it didn't matter. The only time it matters in WA is if you renew a car that's been expired less than a year, you still pay for the whole year if it was in your name when it expired. Go past a year expired, OR transfer title, the registration gets reset to the date you re-register it.

As long as it was properly reported (with VIN and such) pretty much all States are that way. The problem is some States don't seem to even bother to check, or only check the paperwork which could be for a totally different vehicle. Washington is one of those, only check papers. Used to do a VIN inspection on all out-of-State cars, but no more. But you still PAY for the inspection at title time...

The car I bought in 2001 (that hadn't been registered since 1986) also had a deceased owner. His widow was still alive, but the title had long since disappeared. It was in his name though, but his widow had to go with me to the license agency WITH a copy of the death certificate and the paperwork showing her as the grantee of his estate to file for lost title. Since she was in bad shape herself (Alzhiemer's) I was there with her family, who had Power of Attorney, but she was well enough to sign the paperwork herself. She actually signed off 2 cars that day, one to her grandson- that car was actually worth something. The one I got cost more to recover than it was worth.

I bought my car in 1997 and assumed it was on a Non-Op but it was not, so I gambled that it had fallen off the books. Well, $495.00 bucks later, it is in my name!

So no, they do not all fall off the books and yes, this is California!

darn well thank you all for the info im going to

try and get this tags asap i wan to drive my baby already =(

i wan to feel & look sexy like this guys -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWF-hH1nloo