Opinions Needed

While working at a motorcycle shop who had access to wholesale auto tires, I purchased a set of 205/40/17 tires to go on my silverado wheels for my 620. I ordered them on a whim, not even thinking that my stock 195/75/14's were a WHOLE lot taller. I was wanting to fill up the fender well a bit more, but mainly have a larger overall diameter not only for the help with my gearing (4 speed) but to leave me plenty of clearance for when I bag the truck in the spring. I will probably upgrade to 18's at some point, and I wanted to make sure I pretty much had enough clearance to still lay out when I make a wheel size change.

So I put the wheels on my truck the other night, and with these rubber bands on there, I have 6" of room between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender arch. I do plan on static dropping the truck about 4 or 5 inches, possibly even 6, which will of course close that gap and help things look better.

My question is this, should I lower the truck, sack up and take my idiotic choice as a loss and live with what I have and hope the lowering helps the looks (right now it looks like one of those ghetto donk cars) or should I possibly take a pretty good hit on trading my tires in for like a 215/50/17 which is the same overall diameter as I have stock, or something larger like a 225/55/17 which is not only fairly cheap because it is a common size, but it will help a bit on the gearing and provide me plenty of clearance when I'm measuring things for bagging it.

I know this is going to be a "pics or die" issue, but i'm working so hard at work to post this (haha) and I don't have a single picture since I made the swap. Thanks for the opinions

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to sell the tires, make sure you keep them new. Don't run them. You might be able to do some horsetrading on craiglist for cash to buy the other tires, or trade for someone who has a good set. If you trade them in, do it private party. A tire store won't give you half of the value of those tires, even new. At least that's what I've generally found.

Thanks for the responses so far. I do have a "friend" in the tire business and I'm HOPING that he has a good used set of tires in stock that are the size I need and get close to swapping even for the NEW tires that I have...but like I said, that is my HOPE.

Luckily lowering these trucks is just about as cheap as you can get. I guess I'll end up letting my wallet decide on which route I go. I'll post some pics tonight or this weekend if I get some time, I was just wondering if anybody else had pics of a 24" tire on their vehicle with it lowered, so I could possibly make some judgement on that. Thanks again