Engine Block Heater

RustyRat4x4

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a little creative mounting and hose routing you can arrange the tank heater under the battery so that the waste heat warms your battery and ensures that it will crank at sub zero temperatures. Saves buying a separate battery "electric blanket". One caution, most tank heater kits have a pot metal Y connector to tap into the heater hose. Iron blocks, aluminium heads or radiators makes for electrolytic disolving of pot metal fittings. If you live in an area where tank heaters are necessary, hardware stores stock or can get brass Y fittings for you [or polyethelene ones].

"When you've lived in Montana and Wyoming, any temperature with a plus sign in front of it is warm."

i have done some in the past, i believe they are all the same size/ or close, the last block heater i did was designed to expand to fit, my l20b has 2 of them on it, and a tank heater> i guess some one needed a tune up

I've never seen a block heater installed except on a diesel, those went into the head I'm thinking.... But do know they help the engine turn over with ease during freezing temps..

Where do they get installed??

--freeze plug???

--one of those temp activated vacuum switches holes that are plugged now???

I was just thinking about block heaters too..

What about the magnet or adhesive kind that goes on your oil pan? Instead of pulling freeze plugs or having to go through the trouble of draining coolant, etc., it seems like one that basically slaps on the oil pan would be a good idea for use on really cold days where it might not be 20 below for weeks at a time. Anybody use one of these? I read elsewhere that it works best if used with a timer that kicks it on about 3 or 4 hours before you have to drive it. Only real drawback I guess would be that you have to take it off before taking off..?

When it comes to "in block" heaters there are two types. First is a U shaped heater rod that fits into the hole for a freeze plug that you knock out. The second type is a long heater tube with a threaded sleeve that replaces one of your head bolts and extends into the water jacket [obviously you have to pick a bolt that has the room below and has access to the water jacket].