Fear of rust? on Ratsun?

I looked up "patina" here on ratsun search, and came up with only 109 threads.

Looked up rust and there have been 200 threads using the word rust since September of this year!

I say! Do not fear the rust! Embrace the rust as part of your car! Let it become part of the patina of your Ratsun!

Since Datsuns always rust, every time, why try to get rid of it?

My 210 has a perfect rust free underpan with no dents, never been wrecked, etc....

The doors have a few rust spots near the bottom, and some spots where rust came through the paint on the body, but those are about the only issues with the car, rust-wise.

rust at the bottom of the doors:

2010-10-26%2014.53.10.jpg

I want to rust-out a hood on my 210. I kinda think the whole euro-rat kind of theme goes hand-in-hand with the Ratsun theme.

I am going to be mounting some large, in your face, super shiny carbon fiber louvers on the hood of the car, and I think some beautiful carbon amidst the total Ratsun-Patina- rust theme will just throw the car into a whole different ballpark.

Also want to do some paint work on the car to add some uniqueness to the car.

I have a first-gen Maxima hood that already has some rust spots on it that I took off of the 84 turbo Maxima. I'm going to start playing with it this week some.

reference photos:

derekbg.jpg

foralex.jpg

The%20Return.jpg

My favorite iteration of the above car, but getting to that point takes some guts.

4243120826_e183175d97_o.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh, in a way I dig the rust look, but your car has to ba able to smoke all the people that point and laugh because their Hon-duhs have super "cool" paint-jobs... Just sayin

my vw is quite rusty but its slow as can be, I leave it that way as I take the bug where jeeps roam and make them scratch their heads. :cool:

I just realized that none of those cars have legit rust on them, it's all chemically made. That stuff isn't bad for your car, my dad's boss has a rat-rod and they made they did the tailgate this way, it's only a thin layer on the surface. Unless you lived in an area where they salt the roads real bad and it's always wet (like Colorado), this kind of rust really isn't anything to be worried about destroying your car, and if you lived there it wouldn't matter if you had this layer of fake rust on or not, you're car would be likely to be destroyed by rust anyways.

and a car has to earn a patina, you cant make that.

Totally agree with shonuff here! I am currently finding tons of patina under the cammo spraypaint on my new dime. But it is a fine line to walk. At some point a car can just look like a rot rocket, and I am not sure I want that!

Totally agree with shonuff here! I am currently finding tons of patina under the cammo spraypaint on my new dime. But it is a fine line to walk. At some point a car can just look like a rot rocket, and I am not sure I want that!

You bought Chris of Maine's car?

You bought Chris of Maine's car?

Indeed! :D Chris even dropped it at my door!

Chapman 510

Chapman had some serious rust repair going on in the rear quarters (But is really solid for a NE car for sure!) So though I like patina rods, I may have to think about having new rear quarters welded in. When the car was all cammo the repair was less noticeable. But with the paint off, and light yellow stock paint, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

I've repaired two rust holes in my B210, one on passenger side floor pan and one in the trunk. I've seal both areas with asphalt and special paint. I'm still fearing rust. As far as rust patina, "to each his own." ;)

asphalt??? :confused:

lol where have you been :P

I can hardly remeber when Fisch didn't have a 510

I've been working a lot more for awhile now so I only get on nowadays to check the main page really and sometimes the for sale section. Guess I either missed out when he got it or I saw it and up and forgot.

Indeed! :D Chris even dropped it at my door!

Chapman 510

Chapman had some serious rust repair going on in the rear quarters (But is really solid for a NE car for sure!) So though I like patina rods, I may have to think about having new rear quarters welded in. When the car was all cammo the repair was less noticeable. But with the paint off, and light yellow stock paint, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

That's cool. I'm gonna run through that thread after I help make some pumpkin pie. But you do know that this means you're gonna have to come down sometime with that car right? Or hell, bring the old sedan, that would be tits. Or I could find some time to make a trip up that way. I could find a reason to head north, lol.

oh he did much more to that bomber bimmer.. chopped, supra motor, 24k gold rims..

Agreed. He did one hell of a great job on this. I love it. Original patina or not this thing brings the awesome. I guess the lesson is, if you are going to fake it, you better make it look flippin AMAZING!

Oh God.. it's happening..

When I walk into the room, look over my roommate's shoulder, and am visually assaulted at the abominable hate crimes committed on the VW Vortex, it makes me cringe. Then I come to my place of solace and see this.. :no:

Please, if this is the route you're going to go(speeding the extinction of an already quickly dying race) all in the name of what the imagination-deficient fan boys of the unfortunate Generation Y deem acceptable, stylish and praiseworthy, just get a "dub". Don't bastardize and bring shame upon your Datsun; it deserves so much more than that.

• Like 3

Oh God.. it's happening..

When I walk into the room, look over my roommate's shoulder, and am visually assaulted at the abominable hate crimes committed on the VW Vortex, it makes me cringe. Then I come to my place of solace and see this.. :no:

Please, if this is the route you're going to go(speeding the extinction of an already quickly dying race) all in the name of what the imagination-deficient fan boys of the unfortunate Generation Y deem acceptable, stylish and praiseworthy, just get a "dub". Don't bastardize and bring shame upon your Datsun; it deserves so much more than that.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/2078204271.html