Stubborn Gaskets

ariascarlos1990

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My goon had the bumpers powder coated by the PO. I did a Google search on removing powder coating, and a lot of folks are recommending using Permatex gasket remover that is in a spray can.

If that stuff removes powder coating, I can imagine what it would do to a stubborn gasket. :cool:

I also understand it comes in a brush-on can, too.

I have not tried it, but figured it was worth mentioning.

Wire wheel on angle grinder. Naturally don't go overboard. Use a brass wire wheel it's softer. For a few bucks you can get a assorted pack of wire brushes that look like toothbrushes.

I've used the spray Permatex gasket remover with good results. You have to wait and let it work, so if in a hurry.... and it's a bit messy like paint stripper.

Paint scrapers are good too for removing most if not all gaskets. They have a good handle and grip so you can 'lean on it' and come in different widths.

bristle discs work good, but normally i use the 2 inch scothbrite roloc pads on the end of an angled die grinder, make sure you get med to fine and not the coarse grit discs, they are about a buck a peice and one should be plenty to do your front cover. turn your reg down so you cant get out of control!