Last Old Norwegian 521

Conan

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z chopper I thought you meant the 74 620 mounts are different than the 521 L motor mounts.  Like I said in an earlier post I used 1980 720 mounts on my 1966 520 chassis.   And I used 77 620 mounts to weld in to the 1980 720 chassis that I took the mounts for the 1966 520 chassis.

Z chopper if you are needing L motor mounts I will find you some.

We have several junk yards around here that I can get some 620 mounts from.

Conan I have caught a cold so I am running a little behind the time frame I said earlier.

Gene Knight and I and going to take the 74 620 L16 and set it in a 720 521 to see if the pan clears the frame of the 521.  I will post the results when we get it done.

620 L16 oil pans are different than 521 L16 oil pans Charlie, I already know this as I screwed up and put a 620 pan on my LZ23 before putting it in the work truck, but I had dropped the steering linkage before dropping the engine in/taking the L20b out, so I didn't know until I tried connecting up the steering linkage, that sure did suck.

I suppose I could have beat the pan back an inch, but I did it right instead.

The L16 620 oil pan clears the frame Charlie, but it doesn't clear the steering linkage(center link).

With the 620 mounts I have on my 521, the engine was just high enough to take all the oil pan bolts out, drop the pan just enough to get to the bolts holding the oil pickup tube in place, I took the one out and loosened the other one, I was able to twist the oil pump pickup tube just enough to get that oil pan out and put the correct one in and re-connect the oil pickup tube, I got lucky that I didn't have to lift the engine, and after I was done it didn't leak, I was real lucky.

As far as I know, the oil pickup tubes are the same though, as I didn't change that when I changed the oil pan.

• Like 1

Conan I picked up a 1974 620 front frame section today that had a L16 4 speed in it.  I can cut the metal mounts off the frame and send them with the old rubber engine mounts.  I hope to be able to cut them off next Sunday.  Send me your address and I will get them boxed for a shipping price.  The early 620 are the same as the 521s.  I used the 720 L20B steel engine frame mounts on my 520 chassis and then I put a 1980 720 chassis under my 520 cab and bed.

When I send them I will mark them left and right.  My left is from sitting in the drivers seat looking out the windshield.

Left side is also the drivers side in the US, 

I will see what I can round up as far as a pan and the pickup tube.  Remember there is a gasket between the pick up tube and the bottom of the block.

If its not a huge hassel that sounds great, guessing i just need to cut out my mounts and replace with these then fix the problems that arise along the way, atleast then i know that engine is sitting as intended. I will send you a PM

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Garage has been cleaned and Datsun pushed back in. At a new years party i spoke with the brother of a buddy of mine, he is a mechanic and will sort out my MOT, but apparently welding on the frame is a big no no here in Norway, if i want to show it at the DMV i need to have papers from a certified welder, welding on the mounts themselves was less of a problem. So i was advised to stick to my first plan of modifying my own frame mounts. I can´t recall if i have the rubber mounts so i will dig around a bit tomorrow and se if they turn up. I was wondering if someone could give some dimensions though, the distance from edge of frame to top end of the angled mounting surface, and is the angle exactly 45deg?

¨

Happy new year everyone, and thanks again for all photos and pointers 

datsun_hellvik.jpg

datsun_hellvik_2.jpg

• Like 1

If you cannot weld on the frame, or cannot afford to have it done, then your going to have to go about mounting the engine differently.

I hope you didn't cut off the mounts you had holding the J block in, you just unbolted them and left the rest alone I hope, what you need to do now is take the alternator off and then the alt. mount bracket, now you have 3 bolt holes in the side of the block on the right side, the other side has 4 bolt holes that were used for the air conditioner mount.

Now you need the 521 L16 oil pan and oil pickup tube, has Charlie got this for you yet, you need it to continue, once you have the oil pan on, you need to drop the engine in and connect the transmission to its mount, jack the engine up in the front, put all the engine mount hardware that held the J block in the truck with the rubber motor mounts, now lower the engine into the position you want it leaving a quarter inch space to settle, now once everything is just the way you want it, using the mount holes on both sides of the block, make yourself engine brackets that use them mount holes on the sides, you will have to cut metal pieces, I would use 1/8 inch plates, cut the plates for the sides of the block first, then cut plates that bolt to the rubber mounts, then take some stiff cardboard and make templates(2 of them) to make the connection between the block plate and the motor mount plates, do one side at a time, once you have a side made by tracing the cardboard onto the metal plate, put them into position and tack them together, don't weld, just tack them together, then repeat on the other side, once everything is tacked together, take the bolts out of the block and rubber motor mounts, lift the engine high enough to get them out and then weld the mounts together adding braces where needed to make them strong.

Put the engine back in and figure out how your going to mount the alternator, now if you put some thought into the mount on the alternator side, you can likely make the mount on that side work and still mount the alternator in the same position, but you will have to take your time and figure everything out, it will not be easy, but just about anything is possible if you throw enough time and thought into it.

You may have to mount the alternator up higher, but that is one of the issues with conversions, sometimes you have to move stuff around, but in the end it would just be way easier to have a certified welder weld 521 mounts onto your 521 frame, way easier.

• Like 1

Been plowing snow and chopping wood the past weeks, so datsun had to wait. I´ve fixed my engine hoist which buckled last time i used it so getting ready to get started. I have no rush, so i will figure something out, the Datsun is my challenge, so will get it fixed myself somehow. I have a wife thats been joking around too much about the Datsun for me to give up and hand it to the "Pros", if i do that i might as well get a new wife as i would not hear the end of it xD

I have not been able to locate a 521 oil pan and pickup tube.

No worries, im in no rush, and i still haven´t failed at frankensteining my own pan and tube

Hey,

Great to see this car is still around. I remember reading  the for sale add from some years ago... considered it then but had too many projects - still do  :crying: 

Will be following this thread now  :thumbup: 

I bought this as a simple daily driver. Got cold feet about the car driving it home from the buyer.... there were holes in the floor and it was the beginning of winter hehe. Only regret i have is not being finished yet!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

NYmduRr.jpg?1

QXIc7vc.jpg?1

Bought a cheap ac stick welder, made the world a better place, until now i have been restricted by my awful flux cord "Mig". Made new mounts with same angles as original except i made them about 2 cm shorter to get more room and distance from frame, and i moved the mounting holes a bit over an inch so that it sits closer to the firewall. I will now make brackets that bolt onto the frame... then i need to tackle the oil pan, and pick-up tube. For the pick-up tube i cut an old rusted three wheel kids bike to pieced and saved the steel tube frame, so hopefully i will make that fit somehow.

• Like 1