For what it's worth

I hate to do it but it's time for me to consider selling my favorite car. The only problem is I have no idea what value to place on it, especially since I moved to California and it is not smogged as of yet. So I pose the question to you folks. The facts about the car: 1977 710 wagon, all original except for the exhaust (2 inch pipe and a straight shot muffler), rebuilt L20b, rebuilt original hitachi carb, very decent interior, perfectly uncracked dash, very nice original seats, everything works except the clock. It needs only to be fine tuned mechanically, and has new brakes all around and good tires. The bummer is that it needs a little body work (small rust repairs here and there) and a new paint job. It comes with two spare rear bumpers as the one that's on it was damaged in a fender bender. I know how much time and money I've put in the car, what I don't know is what a good starting price would be, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to do it but it's time for me to consider selling my favorite car. The only problem is I have no idea what value to place on it, especially since I moved to California and it is not smogged as of yet. So I pose the question to you folks. The facts about the car: 1977 710 wagon, all original except for the exhaust (2 inch pipe and a straight shot muffler), rebuilt L20b, rebuilt original hitachi carb, very decent interior, perfectly uncracked dash, very nice original seats, everything works except the clock. It needs only to be fine tuned mechanically, and has new brakes all around and good tires. The bummer is that it needs a little body work (small rust repairs here and there) and a new paint job. It comes with two spare rear bumpers as the one that's on it was damaged in a fender bender. I know how much time and money I've put in the car, what I don't know is what a good starting price would be, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bad....

unsmogged

needs some body work

needs paint

damaged bumper

To be made California compliant you will need a lot of hard to find smog parts and install them. If you don't then the next buyer will have to and this will depress the price quite a lot unless you get some idiot that has stars in his eyes. The problem is that once he finds out he will scrap the car for a few parts. Because it's a runner it's worth at least $500 and up to 3X that . (depending)

For $3500 I would expect a KA24E swapped in and or at least perfect interior and paint. AND passed smog. It's only realistic to expect half that amount from someone who wants a project and has a couple of 710s for parts. For $500 to $1500, realistically under half that, .....I would keep it and fix in my spare time. Locate scrap 710 for the smog equipment and swap it on, swap the bumper. Keep it, not worth the money you get for it to end up off the road or for parts.

I should have been more clear about the car. It has all the original smog equipment, and only 65,000 original miles on it. I had the engine rebuilt because some of the gaskets were dried out and failing. I also have receipts from when it was first bought up until today, as well as the original owners manual, sales brochure from 1977, and original tool kit and jack. The interior is the nicest unrestored datsun interior I've ever seen. The only signs of wear are a very small start of a tear in the drivers seat, and the crome detailing on the driver side door panel is peeling. I replaced the smog pump recently and can easily order anything else it might need through rockauto. In order to be smogged it would have to be fine tuned with a sniffer, other than that it should be good to go. It also has the non catalyst sticker under the hood as it was made for sale in washington, so no cat to deal with.