Identifying an African model

Kenyadat

New to Ratsun and pretty jazzed about becoming a Datsun owner very soon. I have been flipping through forums and websites trying to identify the car I am about to buy. The owner is referring to it as a 160B and I am roughly trying to translate that into North American language (am from Canada). It's in fantastic shape and has had only one owner. It is literally like stepping back in time inside the car.

Any idea on what this model would be? (click on my profile for the photo)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the picture in the gallery, that would be the US equivalent of the 810.

But ONLY on the body shape alone...the motor would be something else, not the L24 we got here. Likely an L20B, but I am not sure. Other models in the world got motors based on parts availability.

I am a 510 owner. Dont know much about the other models,but someone will chime in and give you a for sure answer,its either a 610 or 710,610 I think. I know a lot of you will want to kill me but those models look pretty similar to me.

pretty much every japanese brand car with a carb on it that was reg'd in Britian got shipped to Africa in the 90s-00's as they became hard to get past emmisions/ roadworthy tests in Europe. Buyers would scoop them up and ship them by the frieghterload to Kenya etc. Datsuns didn't become popular in England til 72-73, so there were almost no 510's there, but the Cherry, 610 and 810 were more common...

Well seems like there first was the 510 (Bluebird) replaced by the 160B, 180B or 200B Bluebird (known to us as the 610). After the 610 the body morphed into the 160B/180B 810 (depending on engine) in the UK, the 200B (L20A) in Australia and the 810/Maxima here with the L24 motor.

Kenyadat, what motor is in that car???

I have not finalized buying anything over here just yet as sadly, choice is a bit overwhelming. :blink: I have narrowed my hunt for a datsun to two cars. the white 160B that i have posted on Ratsun already and this one. It's a '78 160J Violet SSS. The body has had a bit of work but the twin SU engine sure looks pretty. Both cars are around the same price of about 2500-2700 usd. My mind says 'buy them both'! But my wife is clearly not about to let that happen. The white car is a lot cleaner overall but the red is nice too. I realize it comes down to personal choice but was wondering if anyone out there had an opinion.

cheers

160Ja.jpg

160Jd.jpg

160Je.jpg

160Jc.jpg

160Jb.jpg

the violet sss is a pretty awesome car... lots of EAS rally history in your country... great engine/ drivetrain... but from the pics see a pretty bad hackjob of the bodywork/paint... you may find some nasty bodywork issues that will be really expensive to fix correctly. i would go with the white car