New Baby Brother for Woody

hitch

We all look for that "barn find" that has been stored for many years. Well, lightning has stuck twice for me in the last two years. I found the Woody 210 last year and it was a rare find. Now I've got a 510 again that is in incredible condition. This car was mentioned to me as being another in the owners collection while I was looking at a 1951 Ford 2 door for my father in law. Knowing that a 510 was something I'd love to have, ever since I sold my 510 about 10 years ago. I said I'd love to take a look. The owner knew the value and originally I figured it was way out of my price range, but after a couple of weeks of discussion, friendly nudges, we came to a deal yesterday. I'll be picking it up in the next week and "cleaned up" pictures will follow. Here are my 1st pictures when I saw it in the barn and after it was driven outside. The owner has several cars from the 50's and a couple of antique tractors along with the 510. The last time there was a tag on the car was 97, so its been stored since then. It starts and runs great, he took the time to start the car at least every month. Weber conversion is on the car. It has factory AC and Automatic transmission. The AC works! and the car only moves in reverse, and requires huge throttle just to barely move forward. I've already purchased a trans from qwik510 thanks to Ratsun "parts for sale". there is one rust hole in the spare tire well, other than that, no rust in floors or fenders!

Things that I know will need fixed.

Wiper knob missing

miss matched tires

drivers seat really worn, shows 33k so probably rolled over

Needs transmission work

Headlight relay, low beams only

Radio antennae missing

emblems are missing, but mostly in the car

Now, do I keep it stock, or mod the car? I really lean towards keeping clean original cars just as they are but this thing is crying out for some updates. I may put the Bumble Bee stripes on it and charge for pictures when the movie breaks!

First look in barn

imag0117p.jpg

imag0118s.jpg

imag0116t.jpg

Driven into the sun for the 1st time in several years!

imag0128w.jpg

imag0126.jpg

imag0129v.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody would be ready, but I won't have the 510 till next week. And it will not be road worthy until I get the trans changed. Saturday during football season is not to good of a time to get away. Plus, I've got to do some garage cleaning or I might be looking for a new place to live when she sees me bring another (old car) home.

nice barn find! you are incredibly lucky. from the looks of the pics,I'd be leaning towards mild,period correct mods at the most. things like a BRE front spoiler,Libre wheels,slot mags or similar era rims, maybe just polish the rims that are already on it. put on some sway bars ,maybe 280z struts & brakes,etc. I wouldn't paint it, or put bumble bee stripes on,(although the "Datsun" rocker panel stripes would look awesome! ). I'll bet a little rubbing compound,some good wax,& a buffer would bring the finish right back too. basically,I'm thinking it's such a sweet original car,& not much could improve on the nearly perfect condition it already seems to be in. But hey, it's your car, do your own thing,post more pics,so the rest of us can drool with envy!

I don't mind doing minor mods, but original untouched Datsun's are so difficult to find. I hate to change this one or the woody. Plus, I think un-mollested cars are extremely valuable since there are so few of them. I'll probably just get everything running / working / looking good and then decide. If I enjoy driving it as it is, I'll probably just leave it for a couple of years. Perhaps switch over to a 5speed and re power at that time. I would like to hear of "Ratsun" methods of securing it without high dollar alarms. I don't want my 10yr itch relief to be short lived. I drive a PU truck all of the time, really want a car for when I'm home. The 620 is not enjoyable because I fold up like a pretzel and am uncomfortable with my knees splayed out like a prostitute. I'm going to consider swapping the l20 from the 620 into the 510 and put the l16 in the truck. I think I need to part with the 620 now.

I just remembered, I've got a set of 14" panasports I could put on it. Then put the nice 8 spoke alloys on it now on the woody. Your picture reminded me. Thanks metalmonkey47, you should come buy my 620 and have a daily driver.

Looks Sweet Hitch.

Let me know what parts you may need once you get it sorted out. I have lots of stuff up here and since you will be coming up to get the trans, you could get whatever you need then.

I have a complete set of 280ZX strut assemblies with brakes, etc. pretty heavy to ship but easy to pick up. I will look for a wiper knob for you. Probably have a headlight relay too.

Looking forward to meeting you.

David

I just remembered, I've got a set of 14" panasports I could put on it. Then put the nice 8 spoke alloys on it now on the woody. Your picture reminded me. Thanks metalmonkey47, you should come buy my 620 and have a daily driver.

I gotta clear it with my dad, but I might just do that cool.gif In fact, if you're really looking to find a nice home for it, my GF needs a truck. She has a soft spot for 620's since I met her. lol

I would like to hear of "Ratsun" methods of securing it without high dollar alarms. I don't want my 10yr itch relief to be short lived.

Kill switch on the Ignition or the starter could work. I wired a friend of mine by bypassing the cig lighter. you have to push the cig lighter in before you can start it. He pulls it out and tosses it in the glove box to keep it secure. :D

I don't mind doing minor mods, but original untouched Datsun's are so difficult to find. I hate to change this one or the woody. Plus, I think un-mollested cars are extremely valuable since there are so few of them. I'll probably just get everything running / working / looking good and then decide. If I enjoy driving it as it is, I'll probably just leave it for a couple of years.

most of the mods are bolt in, do all thosse ;)