custom lexan windows

jputz

I have been looking for replacement side windows for my 69 2door and I came across this site in one of my many searches. It says if we can supply 2 factory windows and do an order of atleast 10 sets then they will mold us replacement windows. Not sure of a price yet but if 10 of yall are interested then I will contact them. Let me know whhat yall think.

Flexite Molded Windows

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if your car gets really really hot. id like to research them more, seem like they are marketed for racers, but what about show cars, and cars in high temp areas? Do they warp?

Lexan parts are usually pretty heat and UV-stable. They use them in all sorts of high-heat applications.

I'm in for a set.

What happens if your car gets really really hot. id like to research them more, seem like they are marketed for racers, but what about show cars, and cars in high temp areas? Do they warp?

Well, if your car got hot enough to affect polycarbonate you would have more worries than just your windows. The glass transition temperature (temp where PC starts to distort) is around 300* F.

They are real easy to just make yourself, I've made many sets of them. They work pretty good, but you do have to buff them out a couple times a year to keep them really shinny (and not show scratches from washing them.). In fact 3 of the windows in my Hearse are still polycarb, and I ran it for the windshield for over 10 years, (it took that long to finally find a glass windshield). Keep in mind you can't tint it though, because as it changes temp, it out gasses moisture, and will cause it to bubble, (same with vinyl decals). All you do is get some the same thickness as your glass, lay down your pattern made from the original and trace it out, cut it out with a jigsaw or rotary cutter, sand and flame the edges, and install it just like the original was. When you're done, if it's done right, you can't tell it's not real glass.

They are real easy to just make yourself, I've made many sets of them. They work pretty good, but you do have to buff them out a couple times a year to keep them really shinny (and not show scratches from washing them.). In fact 3 of the windows in my Hearse are still polycarb, and I ran it for the windshield for over 10 years, (it took that long to finally find a glass windshield). Keep in mind you can't tint it though, because as it changes temp, it out gasses moisture, and will cause it to bubble, (same with vinyl decals). All you do is get some the same thickness as your glass, lay down your pattern made from the original and trace it out, cut it out with a jigsaw or rotary cutter, sand and flame the edges, and install it just like the original was. When you're done, if it's done right, you can't tell it's not real glass.

All you do is get some the same thickness as your glass, lay down your pattern made from the original and trace it out, cut it out with a jigsaw or rotary cutter, sand and flame the edges, Hey Creepy I think you meant flange the edges,right?

All you do is get some the same thickness as your glass, lay down your pattern made from the original and trace it out, cut it out with a jigsaw or rotary cutter, sand and flame the edges, Hey Creepy I think you meant flange the edges,right?

Nope, I meant flame, lol.

When you cut polycarb (or acrylic etc...), you end up with a slight rough edge. So to fix that, you start by sanding the edge smooth (working you're way up to 800 grit or so), but it still won't be glossy like the edge of actual glass. So when you're all done sanding, take a propane torch and lightly run the flame along the edge, and this will smooth it the rest of the way and make it really shinny again (like real glass).

Same thickness as the front door glass.

As for pricing, every place if different, so just start calling around. (btw, Lexan is a band name by GE, polycarbonate is the actual product name)

You can even get it at some home centers like Home Depot and such.

It might be easier to just post a wanted add on here though, and just see if anyone somewhat close to you has some rear windows for you to buy.