to Megasquirt or not to Megasquirt?

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

So, as many of you know I'm having a hard time sorting out the wiring portion of my KA24de swap. Totally color blind, electrically dumb, etc. Nobody seems to have a solid answer if the matching dizzy to my frontier motor will work with what I've got going on. OBD1 93 240sx wiring and all related bolt-ons hooked up to a 98 frontier KA with an OBD2 dizzy. This diz has a built in coil, cam sensor too maybe? Not sure if this will be compatible and nobody seems keen to give it a go despite how much cash I offer to throw their way. I'm thinking a megasquirt setup will be a little more simple and maybe a little closer to 'plug and play' than sorting out the nightmare I have right now. I was wondering if I went this route, could someone knowledgeable in this dept, make me a complete list of ALL the stuff to buy. I'm getting desperate to drive and no one seems too willing to help me out, maybe they're just as intimidated as I am by it or have enough money already without taking mine :lol:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Done both factory ECU is much much easier. MS is really fun but takes time and LOTS of reading. When it's sorted it's bad ass I just don't know how much you will like it not being into electronics. You should be able to hook up an S13 harness if you find the Dizzy. We've done it on the S14 engines with no problems. I would use the intake as well I don't like the truck intakes. Or just find the truck ECU pinout and go wire by wire.

based on a quick glance at the ewd, it looks like the difference in distributors is the coil and power transistor being located inside the distributor on the 98. The 93 still uses a power transistor, it's just mounted externally. They both use an external resistor. I'd have to do more research, but I'd say the operation of the distributors are most likely the same, optical with the 360 +4 slit trigger wheel. Both should send the ecu crank and cam position. You should notice an additional crank sensor on the bell-housing on the 98. You most likely will not need it if you are using the 93 ecu. In the end, I bet it would work with just some quick wiring mods to accommodate the internal coil and power transistor.

Guest DatsuNoob

Wow! Thanks Jesse! That's the most solid bit of info I've heard yet. I noticed both distributors use 4 pins, the 98 just has 2 addl wires in their own shroud, separate from the other 4 in the pigtail. The 93 doesn't have these. Yes, internally they look almost identical aside from the coil and some other electrical condensers or doodads :D I was almost tempted to adapt a mount in my timing cover to accept a 240 diz with a lengthened drive on it, or try to gut a 240 diz and stuff it into the shell of a 98 diz. I NEED to make this thing go NOW :( Thanks for all the help

with researching this a little more, it's a little more reassuring now. Just gotta find someone to help me set it all up.

Guest DatsuNoob

DUDE! IF THERE WAS A SIMPLE SOLUTION I WOULD HAVE DONE IT 2 YEARS AGO. TRUST ME. Sounds good and easy if you've never seen a 240sx KA and a Frontier KA next to each other before. The frontier is ALMOST identical to the design of an L series motor. Completely different oil pump/pickup assy since it's rear sump. 240 is behind the crank pulley in the lower portion of the timing cover with a front sump design, distributor is mounted up high horizontally with different holes, etc. Point is, I've thought of everything already, even carbs with an Lseries diz, but I want F.I. Nothing is going to be easy, just the way it is for running the motor I have. That's it. I'm about to just pay a shop whatever it takes to wire it since I'm s.o.l. fuck it, I'm not gonna beg anyone to help me if they dont want to. I've made it this far with just me and my wallet, what the fuck?

I believe the oil pump is IN the lower timing cover on the 240sx, and you get the WHOLE lower cover brand new. They are not THAT different, yes you will have to change several parts, but at least it wont be wiring. rolleyes.gif

If your just gonna throw money at it, might as well throw it at parts you know how to work on since wiring isn't your strong suit.

northwestnissans.com LOTS of guys part out KA's there.

Guest DatsuNoob

Thanks for trying to help, but I really wish you'd take a look at how different everything really is before telling me what I should do. It's frustrating as hell since I've considered everything and people seem to think there's still a "simple" option or an "easy" way out of all this. THERE ISNT, PERIOD. I have to have wired what I have in there and I'm not changing a fucking thing. You probably dont even know the differences, never looked up an exploded view of everything, never dug around on the internet for answers that arent there, never paid an ex-ratsun member to start a job, take you money, then bail, or have to listen to a bunch of uneducated blather from strictly a hypothetical standpoint without any real research done from every knucklehead and his brother and still take shit about "when's your truck gonna be finished?". Nissan doesnt even know what those damn wires go to in the distributor. They dont even know their own fucking pinouts! I'm frustrated as shit becasue I've been trying to sort this thing out FOREVER and I get a bunch of talk and no real help EVER. I'm done asking for help here, thanks :rolleyes: I'm ready to give someone $800 to make that motor run but probably I'll just get cleaned out at the shop instead of fill the pockets of someone on here. Whatever.

Never said theres a SIMPLE solution, but if you cant do wiring, or find someone who can you need another option. An before you go off ASSuming someone doesn't know what they are talking about, why dont you consider for ONE SINGLE moment that they might.

Heres a pic

ka24de1999frontier-1.jpg

Look VERY closely and you will see that the bolt holes for the front cover are IDENTICAL! Look down at the lower right, thats the inside of the 240sx front cover, and the oil pump hole lines up EXACTLY with the frontier block, as well as the COOLANT PORT.

Now you may argue, that the oil pickup is different, yep... but I won't tell you how to remedy that, since your a dick.

Good luck moron.

Maybe next time you won't alienate people who offer you advice.

• Like 3

I couldn't find a picture of the truck DE front cover But it must be close to the KA-E cover and it is radically different from the timing cover with the internal oil pump. There is a corner missing on the right where the external oil pump is. Even the pan is different. Now like I said I don't have the DE but the E is similar and is notched for the oil pump.

KAEfrontcover003Large.jpg

Here's the KA24E oil pan. Note the missing corner lower right...

KA24Eblock009Large-1.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

Cool, thanks for resorting to petty name calling. Awesome. I get alot of shit and alot of people busting my balls already about, "when is your truck gonna be this or that..." or "you should do..., or "I would do this, or Well it's just as easy as..." Thanks for your $.02 and the insults, friend :) I'm fine with being a dick too btw. I like to cut the fat in my social life, sometimes helps to weed out people who really dont get you, or arent really friends at all. People who know me know that I'd give anyone the shirt off my back, or whatever I got whenever I have it. I just get a little tired of all the unresearched criticism from alot of folks lately, and I apologize if it all came to a head with you. I'm aware of how to change the p/u tube/pan setup. That still doesnt solve my timing chain issue, with the 240 and frontier being different. I also realize the bolt pattern is identical, I used to have a scrap 240 KA for parts which I sold. Zuum510 and I considered every possible route about a year ago. Otherwise I would have just swapped heads, timing covers or whatever else would have eliminated the distributor issue.

Guest DatsuNoob

Thanks Jason. I didnt know Nico had online FSM's. That's a killer resource for anyone on here including me. Dont have time to dig into it right now, but I'm gonna see if I can get any specifics on that distributor issue a little later tonight, maybe it's in there. Thank you for posting that :thumbup: Again, I apologize to those who perceived me as a raging prick from my previous posts in this thread. That's not how it was intended, I'm just tired of shitty comments and verbal poo some know-it-all people decide to toss in when I'm in a pickle. The condescending shit people flip intended to insult my intelligence gets me riled up, because most of the time what they're saying is painfully obvious, but there's always an unconsidered variable that cancels their whole b.s. theory, but I'm still the "moron". Been going on for a while both on and off the forum, and I didnt mean to blow up on any one person. A jar people fill with crap can only contain so much before it spills over. I'm genuinely appreciative for those who have been friendly, helpful, and supportive. The others, well.... looks like I wont be on their Christmas card list this year.... damn :crying: :( :lol: fuck em. LOLZ Thanks again, I have a feeling I'm gonna be using that FSM.