Goon hatch tension rods

Duncan

My goon had a broken hatch tension rod when I got it, so the hatch didn't stay up on it's own. I got some replacements, but I can't get these to work correctly. I get some tension, but nowhere near what it would take to keep the hatch in the open position on it's own.

Do I have these things in correctly? Does the rod with the large U shape bend in it go OVER the other rod? (The way I have it now)

I never got to remove a good pair, so I have no example to work from. The manual I have shows them, but it has no detail on installing them.

Thanks for any help!

trods.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are LEFT and RIGHT so try swapping them first. They look like the right position just maybe working backwards..

hmmm... I never thought about that. I'll give that a try soon. Thanks!

And thinking about it a bit more, one of the bars has more curve in it that the other, so that may be the problem. Thanks!

its from down under... was bound to happen. :lol:

Crikey Mate!!

i can remove the cover off mine if you havent gotten it...

No worries, Mate! I'll dig into again this weekend and reverse them.

I noticed that there are two marks in the middle of each rod where the paint has been rubbed off, and they don't touch where the paint is gone, so I'm pretty sure I have it bass-ackwards..

Of course, it was 50-50 chance of getting it right and it went the wrong way :)

Wow! I flipped these around and TRIED to install them correctly today. I'm sure the factory must have had some sort of jig and/or tooling to install these as they are nearly impossible to do without it.

I'm pretty sure I have them oriented the right way because the tension/torsion makes them pretty-much impossible to install them by yourself :)

I'll grab my hot rodder neighbor to help me next weekend. These things really are a friggin' bitch!!!

did you try it with the hatch closed? ;)

No I did not. That might be difficult because of the way the rods go in. You have to more-or-less install them both (at least on one side) at the same time due the way the rods overlap each other.

I'll keep screwing around with it, though. The hatch is back on, and maybe I can mess with it some more with it in place.

I also have an idea for fabricating a fitted pry bar of some sort.

• 2 months later...

Happy ending full of win!

I bought the manual, finished bending and welding the tool this morning and just got the rods installed. It took a while, but my tailgate works like it's supposed to now. I'm a happy guy. (It's the little things, really)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

rods.JPG

tailgate.JPG