couple questions about 510 rear suspension

Shonuff

so i wanna bag my wagon.

problem is axl housing touching the body will still not get pinch welds on the ground.

so i wanna go irs, but wait theres more...

i also am going to upgrade to supra 11.5in rotors up front, which is a 5 lug.

so now im looking for a 5 lug independent rear end, but i need one thats near 52in drum to drum or hopefully disk to disk.

what id like to know/see:

a pic of the underside of a 510 with full suspensing, i found this pic, but im a lil confused as to the diff support and cant find a better pic.

9XSM_Rear_Suspension1.jpg

whats the drum to drum measurement on a 510 on the ground?

or should i be looking at a 240?

for the record this is for a supercharged 74 corona.

any and all info/brain storming is appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is IRS, especially a crappy semi trailing arm version, going to get you any lower?

as it is with a solid axl and leafs i can get about 1in off the ground at the lowest possible, no suspension travel. this is a unibody and i want a stock floor so notching is out of the question. with a IRS im dealing with a maybe 2in thick axl shaft instead of a 5in axl housing, plus the added dork bonus of camber on a leaf sprung wagon

Frank & Jeff (Icehouse) built a sweet wagon with IRS from a 510 sedan and it is the lowest F'ing wagon I have ever seen! Thing rides sweet to :) Hit Icehouse up for questions about installation.

definitely will do

excellent, thank you bonvo

so in searching i found that its pretty easy to make 280zx rear discs work on a 510 rear suspension.

but absolutly nothing on a rear 5lug, seen a few options for the struts of a 510, but ive already got the front covered.

anybody with a drum to drum measurement of a 510 rear end?

excellent, thank you bonvo

so in searching i found that its pretty easy to make 280zx rear discs work on a 510 rear suspension.

but absolutly nothing on a rear 5lug, seen a few options for the struts of a 510, but ive already got the front covered.

anybody with a drum to drum measurement of a 510 rear end?

People typically just redrill the rear hubs for 5-lug. Only other case I've seen is someone swapping an entire 5-lug hub-bearing-housing assembly onto stock arms, I think from a 300zx, or using a complete non-510 rear end. I can't remember who it was that swapped the bearing housings - someone over on the realm.

When you put a 510 IRS into a wagon, its easy to get a very low ride height and still maintain proper control arm geometry because you can raise the rear crossmember to whatever height you want when you install it. I figure mine rides about 3" higher than OE geometry. No airbags needed, just adjustable spring perches.

2010-05-24-002-Small.jpg