those who have done a KA swap

a buddy of mine is gonna help/pretty much do the majority of the work on a swap but I need to pick up all the parts.

I have the crossmember and swaybar in, what engine parts should be replaced while the engine is out and who and what kind of radiator should i get?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what happened to the 600cc? then there was talk of a 1000cc...now KA? what's it going to be next week?

There's loads of info on the net, shouldn't have any trouble finding what you need. As for what to replace, depends on the condition of the engine and budget. but ABSOLUTELY do the clutch, and timing set/front end parts. Might as well pop the head off too.

be a cool guy put an sr in there:fu:

Naa..I did the Dohc Ka in my 510 and could help ya with anything like wiring etc. just pm me and I'll let you know. But Kiz is right, do a clutch if possible and timing stuff, but I would recomend leaving the head alone, If you get that far then you might as well pull the thing apart and freshen all the bearings and seals. Its a slippery slope, just depends on how far you want to go. I tore my motor completely apart after I found that the MORON who built it for me flipped a couple rings on 2 cylinders which let a crap ton of oil in. A sad day for me when I found that out.

IMG_0880.jpg

be a cool guy put an sr in there:fu:

Naa..I did the Dohc Ka in my 510 and could help ya with anything like wiring etc. just pm me and I'll let you know. But Kiz is right, do a clutch if possible and timing stuff, but I would recomend leaving the head alone, If you get that far then you might as well pull the thing apart and freshen all the bearings and seals. Its a slippery slope, just depends on how far you want to go. I tore my motor completely apart after I found that the MORON who built it for me flipped a couple rings on 2 cylinders which let a crap ton of oil in. A sad day for me when I found that out.

IMG_0880.jpg

I have a friend pretty much doing the swap for me. I'm more of the observer this time. I've gotta run a compression check on the motor.

it came from a convertible 240sx converted to 5spd that rear ended a truck. I would hope the clutch was newer :o

can't afford the sr

They only made convertibles in 94 they way I remember it... (its been a few years since I've been in the s series scene :D ) I think the biggest bitch with the dual cams is the water pump belt. What have you guys done? Most guys around here just do a belt that goes from the water pump to the crank. They just get one that fits tight and hope for the best!... other than that its really straight forward, since so many dimes have been swapped.

I agree do a clutch for sure. I would do the rear main to if the engine hasn't been ran in a while. There is nothing worse than a new clutch going out due to the rear main... Been there done that....

My screte ingreadent is 620 motor mounts, the raise the engine and line the mounts up to the original wholes. they also help:

1. give the steering more room

2. Which allows the L shaped support brackets to be used. Which I think is a good idea.

3. The all time best reason.... Keep that front sump away from the ground!! Get that bitch low and not be so worried about the pan.

I've never used the 620 mounts on a ka but they worked great on a none turbo SR. I'd like to thank Redeye for getting them for me :D Thanks buddy!!!

When everybody starts using them, remember who was the first!! Ratsun Garage, it was a cold ass night when me and Frank bolted those mounts in, we where both amazed at how well they work to!! :D :D :D

O and let me know how they work with the KA :D

they made em in 1993, that I remember per title, before getting the car towed out.

the car hasnt been run since may ish.

to my knowledge, the guy had just done the swap recently. So if I'm basing it on what he said, I would hope he put in new shit.

CIMG0254.jpg