kingpins?

Brian D

So in my eternal battle to get my 520 on the road I began the brakes, wheel cylinders and bearings. Once the truck was off of the ground with the front tire up I was able to move the front spindle up and down what seemed to be a decent amount. By decent amout I me total overall movement of 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. I belive this is something to be worried about, please tell me if I am wrong. I have need had to do anything with a kingpin front suspension before so this is new. If anybody could steer me the right direction that would be great. Also where to get parts, already checked my new friends at rock auto, no dice.

Controlarm520.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

still available from nissan, if they are the same as 521, I think they are, but someone correct me if I'm wrong

king pin kit 40022-14825

Correct, about $80 from Nissan but includes everything you need for the replacement on both sides. Pins, shims, bushings, nipples, top and bottom grease plugs, thrust bearings, cotter pins.

• Like 1

Hainz paid a shop about $250 if I remember right....boxboy has a quote from Bill's Datsun for around $400? Yep....it can be that bad. You need a reamer to size the bushings once they're installed....that's the real killer for most guys.

You can find this link on the tech page of my site www.olddatsuns.com ....as well as all the factory manuals to show how they do it :)

http://ddgonzal.members.winisp.net/nwde/4234.htm

I really need to start a kingpin rebuilding service! :)

Maybe once I get a couple of other things done. The biggest hurdle that I know of at this time is that the cotter bolt that anchors the lower fulcrum pin in place is NLA from Nissan. I've thought about having them reproduced, but the only way to justify doing that is to commit to rebuilding kingpins and I'm not sure I want to do that :) they're a pain!

Sounds like they are. I would have you do it in a heartbeat. I just can't afford to get this thing running. I found out 4 days ago that the guy I was car pooling with was moving back to Idaho so me and my wife are stuck with one car until I get the 520 driving and I just droped $800 into it this week and who knows how much more. I don't know if I can afford to get it driving

Wish you wee closer to home little brother, I could do it for you in a heartbeat.........dad made the kingpins for my blue 521 and it took us a couple hours to get it done, not a bad job at all, well i haven't done a set without a hoist though, one thing i miss about not having my shop anymore :(............do I need to come do a datsun mechaninin roadtrip?

Call me

Bill

Sounds like they are. I would have you do it in a heartbeat. I just can't afford to get this thing running. I found out 4 days ago that the guy I was car pooling with was moving back to Idaho so me and my wife are stuck with one car until I get the 520 driving and I just droped $800 into it this week and who knows how much more. I don't know if I can afford to get it driving

What kind of shape is the truck in? Are the brakes the only think keeping if from being on the road? There was a 521 in the foster Upick yard a couple of weeks ago...may still be there, but I have no clue what condition the spindles or kingpins are in. You may try finding a better set and swapping the entire assy. If you have motor and electrical probs too....you may just want to spend the money that would go into fixing this rig and buy a $400-500 beater off of CL......something you can easily find parts for.

Wish you wee closer to home little brother, I could do it for you in a heartbeat.........dad made the kingpins for my blue 521 and it took us a couple hours to get it done, not a bad job at all, well i haven't done a set without a hoist though, one thing i miss about not having my shop anymore :(............do I need to come do a datsun mechaninin roadtrip?

Call me

Bill

Seriously? Little brother? That's cool :) I'd like to hear more about how your dad made the kingpins. Did he turn them down on a lathe? Out of what? Did he make the bushings himself to? What about the bearings?

It's not typically the pin itself that wears out...it's the bushings, shims and bearings that take all the wear.

I removed the whole assemble and had a machine shot do it. this was $250 and I hated paying for it.

I cant remember if the kingpin set had the fulcrim pin or not But I had to get them from nissan. Maybe the machine shop didnt give them back to me. Some body said they come in the kit. Its a half taper pin with threads.. Most times they get beat due to thrying to pound them out.

But once it was dont from the machine shop I installed them. 6months later the the steering was getting tight. I had to heat it up the Bushing area and then pumps more grease in there and has been good.

But once it was done I was so proud of myself.

If you got a really nice rig its still worth it to save the rig.

If you need the truck to use Im sure you can still drive it. Mine were loose also about 1/8 inch. till you get a plane together. have the junk yard just blow torch the whole assembly.

If you know somebody that has a machine shop maybe you can get it done cheaper.Icehouse said he know a shop in Puyallup that would do it for 80$ . I could hardly believe that