Best tune-up parts?

mirageshepard

I've been searching around & I've found that NGK plugs & wires are a no brainer, but haven't found much on distributor cap & rotor, coils, but nissan (oem) keeps coming up, so are nissan parts the best way to go for the ignition? I've also seen here & talked to a couple friends & an engine builder or 2 that said that FRAM isn't a good idea for imports & it's just not the brand of the oil filter that can cause problems, but its also the sound you hear when your engine fails because of it lol. I've seen that Wix is a good name brand oil filter that keeps popping up here & with friends as well. K&N also seems to be a decent brand of air filter as well. I'm not getting into oil because I ran across ALOT of posts on oil. So What else is out there thats keeping those sweet engines going? I run with a 86 hardbody (D21) z24I that I just got running & thought I would make a thread out of this for good use for the newbies like myself...Thanks in advance!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fram is a HUGE NO NO ! One starved my L28 in my 240z , tried 3 different brands after ( spin on and off on the car ) then start up , and the FRAM was the only one that completely clogged :blink: TRUE STORY :D

Wix = Good Filter ( currently use )

Napa = Good Filter ( currently use )

K&N = Good Filter

Bosch = Good Filter

OEM = Good Filter

NGK Plugs always , NGK wires ( or any new wires :lol: , but me likey the NGK )

Bearings = Clevite , Beck Arnley , etc.... won't go wrong with those usually

Timing Sets = Japanese made ( you want the silver links for valve timing !!! seriously ;) ) Beck Arnley , OSK , TSL , etc...

Cap/Rotor = All cheapy's are crap , but I still use em :lol:

Drivebelts = Cheapy's or Good-Year has given me LESS squeaks or problems than most

Alternators/Starters = Usually Bosch Brand I have had best success of the batches that are hurried through at their silly little "re-manufacturing warehouses" , although all reman's should be carefully watched in or out of the box regardless ! ( Steer waaaaayyyyyyy clear of Auto-Lite unless looking for punishment :mellow: )

Gaskets = Ishino , Fel-Pro , Beck Arnley !!! ( I am no fan of Corteco or Mr. Gasket stuff , fine if it works for you , but never lasted or worked correctly for me )

i use napa gold oil filter, NGK plugs, NGK wires, and cap i get the more expensive one, not sure what brand tho but its around 14 bux. i should know this, i just gave the goon a full tune up, i match the rotor to the brand of the cap i get.

Horey shet and you didn't start a full tune up thread... wtf :rofl:

Who needs tune-up parts? Mine are over 10 years old and still running great.

I used genuine Datsun. Grab a cap & rotor from the wreckers. The Datsun plug wires rarely go bad, if they do slap another set on (genuine ones). Replace points with Matchbox.

Spark plugs are not critical, most any brand is fine. Just gap and inspect once a year. If they keep going bad, it indicatse are the wrong heat range or the engine is bad (burning oil or runing rich/lean).

Spark plugs are not critical, most any brand is fine. Just gap and inspect once a year. If they keep going bad, it indicatse are the wrong heat range or the engine is bad (burning oil or runing rich/lean).

ummmmmmmmm none of my datsun's ( I have ever owned ) will run on Auto-Lite Spark Plugs ( for very long if at all ) ! Hell even my lawnmower won't run on those things :lol: ( I have worked on lawn-mower engines for a long time now to :lol: )

NGK seems to work clear acrossed the board for most my vehicle's for a lot longer ( in good condition engines ) than any auto-lites I have ever tried !

Did I mention I hate Auto-Lites ? :rofl: :no:

^^^ Will agree with the rest though :D

The only thing about Autolites is you *must* gap them out of the box. It's the only brand i've seen that are never correct in the box. But they worked fine for me.

NGK is the Datsun OEM part, so you know they are good.

I've had to gap just about every set of plugs I've done in every vehicle I've put them in except once or twice that the plugs just happened to be gapped right.......maybe its just the spark plug gods screwin with me laugh.gif