520 motor ?

I'm getting a motorless 520 here soon and I need to figure out what I'm doing for a motor. I have a l18 with a l20 length four speed... will everything bolt on directly? What problems might I face? Has anybody done this swap? I figure driveline will be my biggest issue

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, depends on the year 520 and what the "L20B" trans is out of. '75-77 710s, '78-79 510s and '76-79 200SXs had L20Bs and short "63 series" transmissions which were the same length as the stock trans in a '68 520, though they won't bolt up directly because the corssmember was in a different place on the early 63-series (used on the J as well as L16 equipped cars/trucks).

But in any case, an L-series isn't a direct swap into any 520. Motor mounts are in a wholly different location, which means welding new mounts to the frame, and there's overall engine length and width to be considered. It's a tight squeeze, but they will fit with some creative plumbing. It's a heck of a lot easier to fit one in a 521 because they were designed for 'em.

The 610 ones were long-style F4W63s. 710 ones are F4W63Ls, which I don't think came in long style. 610s and 710s are actually significantly different cars (the 610 being a continuation of the 510-Bluebird line, whereas the 710 was the first of the all-new Violet line). But since I've never had either, I could be wrong on the length.

Doug, if I have accumulates dnough good Karma to cancel the bad and am far enough in the black, I should have a '76 710 goon this weekend. It has a 4 speed in it and I'll measure it for sure. I sure hope you are wrong about the length as I have a 280z tranny waiting.

I'm getting a motorless 520 here soon and I need to figure out what I'm doing for a motor. I have a l18 with a l20 length four speed...

Well you had better measure the length then as there are two possibilities. A short one, and you may not need to shorten the drive shaft.