L16 to L20 swap

Laecaon

I probably sound like a newb asking these questions, but I need to know!

So I have found a L20b engine, not sure how complete it is, havent actually seen it yet. Currently I have a L16 in my car mated to a 3speed BW auto :( What will it take to put the L20 in? Probably looking for a new flywheel, but what size, I know 6 bolt pattern. Will the exhaust and intake manifolds bolt up? I currently have a weber on my L16. And what about motor mounts. Will my stock ones fit? or will I need to find some from another car? What else do I need to know. Currently my car has a L16 pulled from a truck (PO didnt say which) but I dont think that matters.

Flywheel--

Intake manifold--

Exhaust manifold--

Motor mounts--

anything else--

I have done some searching, but havent actually found a thread where someone is going from L16 to L20. Any help would be much appreciated!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you will need the 510 L16 oil pan............... because the L20 oil pan doesn't fit....

I think you need the L16 oil pick-up tube too......... (Not totally Shirley on that)

Yes, you are correct. you need the l16 oil pan, oil pickup, you need the L16 motor brackets that go from the motor to the motor mounts.

6 bolt flywheel, watch and be careful what size you get as there is 200mm and 225mm, you need the correct clutch setup for what size of flywheel you have. You will also need the clutch pedal assembly from a manual car, clutch slave and master as well.

Can i please have the borg warner transmission when you take it out, along with the shifter linkage etc???

My car was originally a B&W automatic, still have the badge on the tail gate. Would like to get that.

Thanks for the tips. Izzo you can have the BW transmission, but I dont have a manual to put in its place yet. I also have the B&W badge on my car :) I have a pedal set already I believe, got it with the car. But I need the master and slave cylinders. And to cut a whole in my tunnel. My shifter is on the tree.

So maybe I was confused abit, but I am still... Is there a way to get the L20 to mate up to my auto tranny til I can get my hands on a manual for a decent deal?

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. Izzo you can have the BW transmission, but I dont have a manual to put in its place yet. I also have the B&W badge on my car :) I have a pedal set already I believe, got it with the car. But I need the master and slave cylinders. And to cut a whole in my tunnel. My shifter is on the tree.

So maybe I was confused abit, but I am still... Is there a way to get the L20 to mate up to my auto tranny til I can get my hands on a manual for a decent deal?

you would need an automatic L series flex plate i think, datzenmike should chime in soon, he knows as well as mklotz. flywheel out of a 720 automatic might work also. but i dont know that for sure. Thanks man for the transmission and such! You will need to find another steering column too, so you can be rid of the automatic setup on there.

Also, best bet is to just gather all the parts, including manual transmission, L20, slave cylinders lbah blah etc... Get all the parts you need for this and just do it one time, makes it easier than pulling the motor & trans a few times, autotragic isn't the easiest to pull apart in my experience.

How hard is it to find a steering column? In all my searches for parts, that is one item I dont think I have even seen show up.

No problem on the tranny. I really dont think anyone is really swapping in 3 speed autos into their rides so it is best given as a gift or as scrap to a yard. But really I have absolutely no timeframe on getting a new tranny (havent started to really search) but I do hate the auto.

I have owned 4 cars and all have been autos, and only my most recent has been wrong wheel drive. 89 mercedes auto, 93 Tbird Auto, 71 Goon auto, 01 Jetta auto !!! no more autos!!! :frantics:

What Doug said. The early auto were based on the BW 30 used in the Austin cars from Europe. The Jatco looks nothing like them but is likely closely based on them.

All 6 bolt 4 cyl L flexplates (maybe L6s too?) look the same. A Z22 flex will work up till about mid '82 on the 720s and the '80 - '81 Z20 200sx when the locking torque converter was introduced. The flex plate from a locking torque converter is differently shaped for the larger converter.

Torque converter loc and regular non locking flex plates

autostdflywheel001.jpg

I'm just finishing swapping an L20b and dogleg 5-speed into my '72 4-door, replacing the original 1600 and auto. It sounds to me like you really want a manual trans, so my opinion is you should go ahead and go that direction, not get side tracked on reinstalling your auto. Unless you have a real shortage of funds, I understand what a problem that can be. If you can find a dogleg trans at a Pull n Save, you can maybe get it with clutch and flywheel for under $100 (judging by Spokane prices; no real idea what OR P&S prices are). A dogleg uses the same length driveshaft you already have. If you find a 620 or 280Z 5-speed, it will be another $100 or so to have the driveshaft shortened.

You should get the L20b from where ever it is and see if it has manifolds, flywheel, whatever might come with it. Chances are you can use both your 1600 manifolds if ones aren't included with the new engine. Since you need to swap oil pans and oil pickup, you should consider unbolting some bearing caps and see what the bearings look like.

I suspect you can get along with your steering column for awhile by just removing the lever. Might not look the best, but should be drivable. Probably a couple of dozen other minor things I should mention, but the important point is - none of it is really hard, just time consuming. Go for it!

Len