stuck, please help

mr 200

alright, I was going to sell my 79 200sx, but have since decided to keep it. The problem I am having now is I need front struts for the car. I can't find any that will fit, everyone that I have talked to said that I would have to rob a 280z of its suspension. any insight is surely appreciated, I want to get this car on the road but am stuck on struts. the folks that I have talked to didn't know much, so I am hoping that someone can help.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

280zx is very different from a 280z................. ... 280zx shocks will NOT fit in your 200sx struts........

I think 280zx struts will fit in your 200sx,,,,,, ,, But then you will want to upgrade the master cylinder for the bigger brakes,,, (and 13 inch wheels will not fit) ..... so you will need 14" rims.............and you will need bump steer spacers too

If that's not what you want.......... you could try some 70's 10 series struts with small (bad) brakes and 13" wheels

My goal as of right now was to find the path of least resistance in order to get the car rolling down the highway. I figured that path would be to find front struts to fit into the assembly. Then, a guy handed me front struts that would fit a 510 (he said) and told me to see if they would fit. They do fit into the assembly, until I get to the top mount and the threads are too large to fit through (one thread size too large). I then though,t is there a way to get these to fit (could I take another top mount from a different car, say a 510, and make these struts work) I really am trying to find my path of least resistance for now. Later on though, I would like to upgrade the entire suspension assembly in order to have (I was told 280z suspension would work for that.)

I would like to upgrade the entire suspension assembly in order to have (I was told 280z suspension would work for that.)

The "entire suspension assembly" including the brakes, hubs, rotors, springs, and shocks?

We call that "struts" ............ "shocks" fit inside the strut tube

280z struts will not fit in your 200sx................. 280zx struts might fit ............... 280zx shocks will not fit in your 200sx strut tubes

When I say 280zx "might" fit: ...... the springs are too big, so the spring perch needs to be cut off, and coilover perches need to be welded on (coilovers: $200)............ the 280zx brakes are bigger, so you will need a bigger master cylinder ($120-200) ............. and 13" wheels will not fit over 280zx brakes .... so you will need 14" rims/tires ($$$$)............... after that: the angle of 280zx spindles is different and the strut tubes are shorter.... so you will need RCA bumpsteer spacers ($90-120) ........... and you might want camber plates too ($190-300)

Do you have a welder to weld the coilover perches on?

My goal as of right now was to find the path of least resistance in order to get the car rolling down the highway. I figured that path would be to find front struts to fit into the assembly.

Why not walk into a parts store and ask for 1979 200sx shocks??? ...... ... not 510 shocks ...... not 280zx shocks...... not 280z shocks

Path of least resistance, cheap and easy =

Why not walk into a parts store and ask for 1979 200sx shocks??? ...... ... not 510 shocks ...... not 280zx shocks...... not 280z shocks

Forget the other shit until you are ready and learn more.