Pictures of a 5 speed Dogleg?

NWOleman

I didnt see an answer 2 my ? My ? is i have a longtail 4 speed apparantly, is there a direct replacement 5 speed for my 4speed? One where i dont have to cut the driveline? And what rigs did they come in? I dont mind modifing my crossmember but dont want to mesh with the driveline if it can be avoided. Ok thanks once again guys, NWOleman.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NWOleman - It sure sounds like you have one of the rare long-tail 4-speeds. Maybe these were peculiar to 610s, or at least some 610s.

The long-tail length is a great thing for you. You don't have to change driveline length and you have a greater choice of 5-speeds - rear wheel drive Maximas, 280Zs and ZXs, pickups (with L-series engines). These pages shows gear ratios for most transmissions: http://www.gracieland.org/cars/techtalk/gearing2.html and http://newprotest.org/projects/510/gearRatios.pl

There seems to be difference of opinion on which ratio set is "best", and I'll admit I haven't figured it out, since I'm going by other people's posts, not my own experience. The one thing I've seen written several times is don't get the later 280ZX with 3.062 First gear if you have a stock 4 cylinder. I guess the stock 4 cylinder doesn't have enough power for that ratio or something. Hopefully, someone will post their ideas on which trans is preferable for stock 510. I really need an education on ratios. I got a truck trans with 3.321 First gear for my L20B '72 510, but it will be 3 months or so before I get it in, so I don't know how I'll like it. The ratio set doesn't seem all that different from the dogleg in my 200SX, and I get along with it just fine. I know you will have more questions, but this will give you a starting point.

Longtail 4-speeds are very common. Since Nissan didn't HAVE a 5-speed for many years (only Roadsters and early Z (dealer option) had them until there was a factory version in '77. ALL 4-speed Zs (4-speeds were stock through '78) and trucks '74-on had longtails, just not the whacked-out longtail 63-series 4-speed NWOlyman appears to have. A NORMAL 4-speed longtail is a 71-series, the 71B was very common.

The question is whether or not Oly's 63-series longtail is the same length as a normal 71B-series transmission. If so, the 5-speed from a '77-83 280ZX or '77-80 truck would fit, though the mounts won't line up due to the series difference. The driveshaft should fit though. There is NO 5-speed in the world that will fit a stock 63-series mount without mods, though- both the 71B and the 63A (dogleg- irregardless if long or short) have the mount farther back. And they all have the speedo output on the other side.

I should have said "...one of the rare long-tail 4-speeds, with square pan on the bottom.", since it seems that is what NWOleman has. I had wondered, though, on the length of the 240Z 4-speed, and now I know.

I did a quick look-see-measure on my long-tail-w-pan 4-speed and my long-tail truck 5-speed. From the bottom front of the bell housing to the cross member bolts is approx. 21 1/2" for both trans. What I can't tell without better measurement is if the rear mount height is the same. Also, the truck 5-speed tail piece may be enough "fatter", so it will hit the trans tunnel of a 610 unless a shorter rear mount is used. I have the two trannys is different buildings, so I couldn't set them side by side and compare. I plan to do that tomorrow. I can also compare the overall length of the two, although I'm pretty sure they are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Not me.

I get the Truck

(80-86) FS5W71B

5 spd "B" type AS:

1st.....2nd....3rd....4th...5th

3.592 2.057 1.361 1.00 .813

This has the same first, forth and fifth gears as the 620 5spd but 2nd and 3rd are lower numerically on the 720 tranny. These same ratios were also used on the '83-'84 CA20 200sx motor (different bell)

Jason I also have a 5spd from an 80 720 4X4 and it's a long tail, go figure. Hard to see on yours but it should not have a speedo pinion in it if it was from a 4X4. Either it isn't drilled out or it will have a block off plate on it. I have seen two different drive shaft lengths going to the transfer case, so two different length trannys were used.

Hi Mike, how'd the trip go across the frozen mid reaches of our fair land. I'm not sure at all what's up with the shorty, does bolt right up to the L20b with no tilt though, so I'm going to use it! I got the lighter, thanks Mate, I owe you more beer again.... You stopping by in Vancouver on the way home? Dinners on me!

Damn! Free food! Already home now, but had to wait two hrs last night for the ferry. Trip was fine... London Ontario to Calgary in 53 hrs. Thats better than 1,000 miles a day. Spent the first night on a bleak look out over lake Superior in a snow storm. Parked next to a tractor by a Horny Tim's near Branton Mann. next night... -21, -37 with wind chill. Double sleeping bag and a paper cup to pee in... good to go. Spent the next two nights with my daughter in Calgary and drove the rest of the way home in 15 1/2 hrs including a two hr wait and an hour and a half ferry ride. All told, 2,900 miles in 68 1/2 hrs which beats the old record of 83 hrs. Took some good advise, and got a six pack of Rockstar.

Got to see my dad for a week or more, he's 88 this w/end. Dropped my son off in London, now living with his girl friend. Came within a hair of a limo ride and private box (with bartender) to watch a Leafs game in T.O.(so close) Got a ride in a 350 horse HEMI Charger Daytona :http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2683, and another buddy took me shopping for a motor cycle (his). Replaced a seized caliper on my Sundance. It got so hot that it was smoking and snow thrown on the rim would boil. Bought gas for.... 45 cents a liter!!!!! No shit!

Gee Mike, you're a hardy SOB, I turn into a popsicle at 0! Sorry to have missed you though, let me know next time you're through though! So, you'd go and see the LEAFS? I guess in Rome one does as the Romans, but, really, they're like the arch enemy!

• 1 month later...

ok im looking at the original nissan service manual for my 76 datsun 610 the discription reads as follows:

the transmission is a fully synchronized 4-speed that uses helical gears. the reverse gear is a sliding-mesh type using spur gears in construction the main drive shaft gear is meshed with the counter drive gear the forward speed gearsprovided on the coountershaft ar in constant mesh with the main gears each of the main gears rides on the mainshaft through the needke roller bearing thus rotating freely on the mainshaft when the transmission is shifted the action causes the coupling sleeve to slide on the synchronizer hub this engages its inner teeth with the outer teeth formed on the mainshaft gear

the syncronizer hub is fitted to the mainshaft by splines so they turn together as a unit as the mainshaft is rotated the transmission is a warner type on warner type the bailk rings syncronize the coupling sleve with tha mainshaft gear placing the speed control lever in the reverse position throws themainshaft reverse gear into engagement with the reverse idler gear the transmission is reversed the transmission cosistes of two major elements;complete transmission case and rear extention the case contains all the gears and gearshafts

long discription of how it works i know but to solve what it is its a f4w63 tranny

her are pics of the dogleg 5speed next to the stock 4 speed

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg