long haul on a 4speed

dave71

Well kinda curious i'm getting a '71 521 p/u all original and may have to move from alaska to ohio to work.. my ? is how well will this old girl hold up to a 4 to 5,000 mile road trip? :blink: has anyone tried a long haul like this and no i am not hauling it i'll be driving it thank you very much lmao.. i read the thread about the 620 being towed w/driveshaft left in it:rofl: sorry that still gets me :poke:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean check & repack front wheel beaings before you leave. These are no longer available. So like skunk said stop in the NW and pickup spare parts (Wheel Bearings Innere & outers with races). Good used ones are better than bad ones. Keep races & bearings as sets. Carry a good basic set of tools. Good Luck!

Yeah it mite be something else,,did this trip before but i was a kid and my parents drove lol..Me and the old girl r the same age born the same month and year both gonna turn 40 together lol....planning on doing basic rebuild on engine and change all fluids (common sense shit)lmao learned a few tricks driving from air base to air base in a 74 capri glad me n my li'l brother were shorter then :blink: ...so no one carries the wheel bearings at all?...gonna change her over to a matchbox distributor:D ...May have to take the 620 the first run since i'll be pulling a trailer and later fly back and drive her out lite w/out my 140 lbs. dog..

Tell ya what if i do this w/both trucks i'll be taking alot of pics to prove i did it w/72 1/2 620 and a 71 521 :o and no can say i was talking out my ass :lol:

Wow! What a road trip!

Bring lots of spares. Remember it's 40 years old,but they are tough.

Where in Ohio?

if i have to go i'll be heading to lisbon that's south of youngstown bout 40 mins. on the eastern border..what a fricking hole it's like mayberry on fricking acid but they need truckers round that area

so no one carries the wheel bearings at all?...gonna change her over to a matchbox distributor:D ...May have to take the 620 the first run since i'll be pulling a trailer and later fly back and drive her out lite w/out my 140 lbs. dog..

Tell ya what if i do this w/both trucks i'll be taking alot of pics to prove i did it w/72 1/2 620 and a 71 521 :o and no can say i was talking out my ass :lol:

There was some on ebay for $200 US. The wheel bearings are no longer manufactured. If Mike Klotz makes some more king pin disk brake kits, he includes custom made sleeves that go on your spindles to make the spindles use the 720 wheel bearings.

Picture of the Mike Klotz King Pin Disk Brake Kits. Quality stuff, worth every penney.

100_3837.jpg