Spec Question

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Engine specs? Chassis? Body?

Basically they changed things every year,engine size increased from 1.6L to 2.0L from 72 1/2 to 79. Disc brakes in 78.

If you're looking for the best year to buy, I would say a 79-79 ,especially a King Cab.

A lot of parts will interchange,a lot won't.

Go to the FAQ and look first.

There's a lot of knowledgeable people here,but search first.

well the most notable differences in 79 are....

*the fuel tank bolts to the frame

*electronic ignition

*antenna is on drivers side

*theres a second wall to the tailgate

*front disc brakes

*L20B motor

*different thickness to core support

I probably forgot something...... For me 79 was the best year by far but alot guys are into the PL's

Guest DatsuNoob

ALMOST everything is interchangeable. Earlier models have a nicer looking grille IMO. Gage forgot to mention the most important difference of all. 79's came with 4.11 gearing. I could make you a list of all differences, but I'm lazy and gotta get back to work now lol.

a stock carb from a 72 does not work properly on a 73

really??? :unsure:

iv swap the carbs around on my datsuns a few times, and the extra stock carbs i have laying around and even my old blue one ( the one you own now :lol: ) and iv never had any set backs. what was going on?

really??? :unsure:

iv swap the carbs around on my datsuns a few times, and the extra stock carbs i have laying around and even my old blue one ( the one you own now :lol: ) and iv never had any set backs. what was going on?

you must have me confused with someone else, i never bought a carb from you.

the carb i got does not work on my truck, i have the mixture screw all the way in and it still runs rich....so you were saying???

im sure its jetted for something else, but it came off an L16 that supposedly ran great

you must have me confused with someone else, i never bought a carb from you.

the carb i got does not work on my truck, i have the mixture screw all the way in and it still runs rich....so you were saying???

im sure its jetted for something else, but it came off an L16 that supposedly ran great

i wasnt saying you got a carb from me i was saying you got my blue truck lol

i wasnt saying you got a carb from me i was saying you got my blue truck lol

fair enough...hahahaha

but we all know im having tons of carb issues, and the carb i have is from a 72 510 with an L16.

it doesnt really matter because i talked to the DMV and they said it doesnt have to be running to pass inspection

Thanks so much for all the info. My first purchase was back 1978 620, I purchase a new California Step Side. Last April, I purchased a 1979 620 California Step Side, Last night I purchase a 1972 620 California Step Side.

I don't really like the grill in the 72 and I was wondering if I could swap the grill out with the head lights for a 1979 grill... would that work?

John

I will get some pictures for you once I get the 72 home from Montana to Ontario, Canada

Thanks so much for all the info. My first purchase was back 1978 620, I purchase a new California Step Side. Last April, I purchased a 1979 620 California Step Side, Last night I purchase a 1972 620 California Step Side.

I don't really like the grill in the 72 and I was wondering if I could swap the grill out with the head lights for a 1979 grill... would that work?

John

I will get some pictures for you once I get the 72 home from Montana to Ontario, Canada

Did you get the one on Ebay? I'd love to have a stepside bed.

Yes pictures are a must!