Insurance for restored 510 wagon?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Document everything. Keep all receipts for parts and work. Lots of pictures, basically a provenance. Get an estimate of it's value and other similar cars that are for sale. I don't trust those insurance pricks. Is it any wonder that BC's ICBC just posted a record profit of 2/3 BILLION $ over the last three years!!!!! They take the money and fuck you over in the settlement. Never hear of anyone that had a happy experience with them. Very combative when they think YOU are in the wrong and give you what a 40 year old car is worth.... $150. You have to prove everything.

i think you can insure it for a certain amount, i havent looked into it yet, but when all is said and done, i'll probably have over 20k in my datto, and i was just going to insure it as if it was worth that amount...like a house, you insure the house for what it would cost to replace. you might want to look into that. if jennifer lopez can insure her ass...you should be able to insure your datto for its REAL worth!

STOP READ THIS 1ST, I just learned a hard lesson on this subject . I called Hagerty and they gave me a quote for full coverage 10k value on my 84 720 with unlimited milage for 150 bucks a year, in nyc where im paying 1200 for basic liability with gieco . So im salivating at the mouth ,credit card in hand ,still cant believe this is real and then they ask if i own a third car? Well i dont and with 2 licensed drivers in the household they cannot insure me unless i do. So now im either buying another car, which eliminates the insurance savings but covers the truck nicely, or leave it the way it is and take it in the ass by gieco . Either way its important to know this before you speak with them so you dont say the wrong thing . BTW the other car has to be a reliable less than 20 year old daily driver that they will want pics of

i wont need any till mines legally back on the road, but through mercury they have a company (name???) that deals exclusively w/classics.

maximum annual mileage, but for the most part is declared value, w/ 'some' proof of work. $10,000 for a 510 wasnt an issue.

they didnt like the 'race car' setup of the 2 dr, so if someone hits me, i hope they have $$$ (:eek: its not the other way around...)

I have Hagerty for my 510 and they only asked for pics of the 510.

They asked if I had another car and insurance on that but never asked

for pics.

I also have Hagerty insurance on Ol Yeller...They asked for a ton of before and after photos of the Truck only...they also wanted to know how many miles I drive yearly..(told 'em 6k) this was not a problem for them.....have the truck insured for $7500 bucks and I too pay $156 bucks a year..... They seem to be really good people....

go online to JC TAYLOR.COM, they are doing my 79 620 show truck for, 100.00 per year, milage is allowed at 2500 miles per year, it is a full coverage policy, in some states when u have collector car ins. u do not ever have to smog again, u will have to send a couple of pictures , and also your own appraisal of value, extensive customizing may be a little more, i found out from some street rodders, and custom full size truck guys, give it a shot, they also have a 800 number listed on line:cool:

Damn... ya'll have it good down there. I pay about $2000 a year on just my daily... I checked into the cost of the Datsun and it'll run me about $1600 with a 15% discount (based on years of driving without an accident)...

Collectors insurance up here isn't too bad... I think any car can be fully insured for about $300 a year, but you need at least one other vehicle, and the car has to be in great condition to original specs, which won't work for me. I wanted to get modified collectors insurance, but the car needs to be over 50 years old for that...

Damn... ya'll have it good down there. I pay about $2000 a year on just my daily...

good? :D i pay ~$850/yr for full coverage on an 02 4runner and the 2 dr.

liabilty only from mercury on cars over 20yrs old, which is why they have a sub company that deals w/ classics

IIRC its will be ~$200/yr for $10,000 coverage/$250 deduc, under 4000 mi/yr, has to be another insured vehicle to have it