Newb ... Kevin's VQ35 Project Thread.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer datzenmike, now you know there's one. I'm a bit smarter then you think lol. I'm not going to abuse it in any way .... that's a lie actually I'll probably bring it to auto-x and dial in the car after it's fully restored. If I do wreck the car then It'll probably get another one :) I know for sure the swap won't cost me 10g for the body yes but it'll be one of the best money I will ever spend except going to skip barber school (expensive but well worth it).

That post was to scare off the noobs, many with big plans who don't think it through. I meant wrecking the car cutting it up to fit the motor in then getting in over their head and scrapping it. Cars were made to be driven, accidents, while regrettable do happen. With the exception of drifting. There are no accidents when drifting, it's a fore gone conclusion that you, (not you in particular) are gong to fuck something up. If you love Datsuns, you would drift a Honduh. As to the build.... best of luck with it and..... impress me.

I moved this to the projects section.

What are your plans for engine management and fuel delivery? I got my ECU reflashed by zfever in florida (pretty sure they use UpRev software), but I haven't gotten around to rewiring the harness or testing anything out yet. I have pretty much all the parts I need (which are more and harder to come by because mine is the revup model), but I've been too preoccupied with life otherwise. my350z.com and g35driver.com have pretty active classifieds if you're looking for VQ parts. I'll probably get the shifter relocation kit as well...are you looking at the one from Mr. Hoke, or is there another one? His looks good, although it would have been nice if he would have made it to use the bottom mounts as well. I don't like that it just comes straight off the upper mounts with no other support.

What are your plans for engine management and fuel delivery? I got my ECU reflashed by zfever in florida (pretty sure they use UpRev software), but I haven't gotten around to rewiring the harness or testing anything out yet. I have pretty much all the parts I need (which are more and harder to come by because mine is the revup model), but I've been too preoccupied with life otherwise. my350z.com and g35driver.com have pretty active classifieds if you're looking for VQ parts. I'll probably get the shifter relocation kit as well...are you looking at the one from Mr. Hoke, or is there another one? His looks good, although it would have been nice if he would have made it to use the bottom mounts as well. I don't like that it just comes straight off the upper mounts with no other support.

I haven't got to that part yet still looking for a transmission, it is on my first list but I'm sure I'll be using stock ecu actually stock everything since this motor is not going to be built maybe rebuild (slight chance).

I've been looking at alot of kits and I don't like any of them I prefer look, measure and fab ofcourse I'm not going to be the one who will be doing the work and I do agree with you on the kit.

After I get the transmission there's a good chance that my project will be put on hold (I will finish this project for sure you can bet on it). The reason is I've been wanting a R1 since 2004 and the mpg on the murano sucks and yeah I do realize the season but that's not gonna stop me from getting one :)

I have a dream .......... of getting an R1

I've been looking at alot of kits and I don't like any of them I prefer look, measure and fab ofcourse I'm not going to be the one who will be doing the work and I do agree with you on the kit.

Look measure and fab works! As has been said a bunch of times, it can be done with enough time or money, and it can be done best with a lot of either.

With big projects like this, something has to be compromised: your expectations or your investment. you decide.

Do it!

Dude... ... have you ever sat on one???

They are HUGE.... .. and top heavy ............. a R6 is lightweight and nimble..... (so much better for a daily driver)

Unless your'e amazingly skilled........ .. your'e gonna get paralyzed on a R1........ ... it's got more torque than a stock L16

I haven't got to that part yet still looking for a transmission, it is on my first list but I'm sure I'll be using stock ecu actually stock everything since this motor is not going to be built maybe rebuild (slight chance).

After I get the transmission there's a good chance that my project will be put on hold (I will finish this project for sure you can bet on it). The reason is I've been wanting a R1 since 2004 and the mpg on the murano sucks and yeah I do realize the season but that's not gonna stop me from getting one :)

Yeah, but you can't use the stock ECU without a reflash ($450 give or take), unless you're willing (and able) to pull and run the ECU, IPDM, BCM, ignition & key, etc all from the same vehicle. I've heard you need the instrument cluster in some cases as well...

Look measure and fab works! As has been said a bunch of times, it can be done with enough time or money, and it can be done best with a lot of either.

With big projects like this, something has to be compromised: your expectations or your investment. you decide.

Do it!

With pleasure.

Dude... ... have you ever sat on one???

They are HUGE.... .. and top heavy ............. a R6 is lightweight and nimble..... (so much better for a daily driver)

Unless your'e amazingly skilled........ .. your'e gonna get paralyzed on a R1........ ... it's got more torque than a stock L16

Yes I have, I've actually rented one a week ago and it was a blast rode it on palomar, highland valey, lyons valley etc.

I am expecting to break some bones after I get one (not renting). High/low speed wheelies and stoppies are addicting and I'm dying to learn more stunts.

Everything I do always have a price to pay and I'm willing to face it, gotta keep the addrenaline going lol jk I just like riding bikes especially 04-06 R1.

Yeah, but you can't use the stock ECU without a reflash ($450 give or take), unless you're willing (and able) to pull and run the ECU, IPDM, BCM, ignition & key, etc all from the same vehicle. I've heard you need the instrument cluster in some cases as well...

Honestly I never thought about it. If that's the case I'll go AEM, Haltech you name it I'm just gonna leave the thinking and making up to the mechanics I just want to drive it.

I am planning to keep it simple, clean and stock (except the drivetrain & suspension) and if I have to use the 350z cluster on my datsun to run the stock ecu ... hell no that would look odd, ricey, out of place there's more I just can't name it all lol.

Honestly I never thought about it. If that's the case I'll go AEM, Haltech you name it I'm just gonna leave the thinking and making up to the mechanics I just want to drive it.

I am planning to keep it simple, clean and stock (except the drivetrain & suspension) and if I have to use the 350z cluster on my datsun to run the stock ecu ... hell no that would look odd, ricey, out of place there's more I just can't name it all lol.

Sure, just giving you a heads up. Everything is connected via the CAN bus so it makes things a bit complicated electronically. The Haltech seems to be the better standalone from what I've heard, if you go that route.

my god how old are you 12?

This thread is all over the place, I want a 1600 with a vq, no an r1, ah it doesn't matter i'll get both, my parents will pay for it

Did you have to much coke and lollies?

Seriously though I hope you do get that vq stuffed in there, there is plenty of vg 1600's around its about time a couple of nice vq swaps came out.

my god how old are you 12?

This thread is all over the place, I want a 1600 with a vq, no an r1, ah it doesn't matter i'll get both, my parents will pay for it

Did you have to much coke and lollies?

Seriously though I hope you do get that vq stuffed in there, there is plenty of vg 1600's around its about time a couple of nice vq swaps came out.

Oh ... Feisty I'm actually 8 and I did had a little too much brownies.

When did I wrote that I wanted a 1600 w/VQ?

This is my only thread about this project I have not open any other thread elsewhere.

Have we met, did I offend you some how if I did keep it coming cause you definetly have a chance at stand up comedy.

Take care and good luck with whatever you're doing.

He's Austrailian mate.....

They can get agro..... :lol: ........ .. and a "510" in Austrailia is called a "1600"

Austrailian or not I'm always entertain with people that has this kind of personality especially on the net.

I'm just fooling around with him he's confused me with this other person.

This guy just need to get his facts straight before he post but he is right about one thing ;)

Btw thanks for the info.

Close, New Zealander. Next Country over the ditch from Aussie.

I'm Just baiting you, I have no idea how old you are, I was just having a stab at some of the stuff you were saying. Was very sort of young and fad like talk. It just came across like you'd be over the 510 and onto the next thing of interest by next week. It Made me Laugh that is all.

Really i'm just jealous. I wish I had someone who would pay for my cars I've probably only averaged about $200 a month on my project and Its just ticked over the last 5 YEARS! Ah the things I could do with a little more money :D

Anyway wasnt trying to be abusive more of a off beat sort of humor.

Good luck with the project

Should meet me in person lol.

I am 20 still very young to many 510 owners and I do agree with ya on loosing interest in projects.

I can't convince anybody even my parents that when I set myself to do something I do it and finish it so it is understandable since I'm young.

The only way to prove it is to finish it and I love being RIGHT.

Young people looses interested in alot of thing and I can't say that I don't.

Fyi I did bought my 510 with my own earning money as well as my motor, if you read all the post I did say it's not easy to get my parents money their first priorty is to keep the company going.

I'm just hopping that when it comes to the body work I'm not gonna be the one who's paying for it.

Like I said should meet me in person lol.

I have a dream ............................. of being a race car driver

Formula 1 or American le man Prototype LMP1 or 2 :)

Ofcourse it not gonna happen right away or starting at that point but in time ;)

I do like to add another thing about myself just to clear things up a bit.

We weren't rich even now we're just above average still struggling for both my parents and myself since the company is in Vietnam and comunist still exist. I was born and lived in San Diego till I was 8, we did got robbed, bankrupt you name it we have been through what most American people have been through it was so bad that we had to leave America to Vietnam and even then we barely survive not only that our family members hated my mom and I and asked my dad to leave us I mean how fucked up is that and MORE! When we we're bankrupt ... the second time, our family didn't even want to give 10bux just to get food. Had to live in a country side at first and most veterans here probably know what it's like living in a country side in Vietnam but in our case alot worst. Comunist running around hassling us especially when they see asian Americans I can not describe what it's like but it's pretty damn close to being a prisoner. We didn't have a car nor a house had to ride a scooter and the worst part is that we always get hit by a car at least once a year and even more.

Those days in U.S happen the same in Vietnam but worst. It was so bad that I had to remeber everything.

I've lived in both worlds for a equal amount of times, there's alot more to say not just my history but it's actually 2:42am in the morning so I'm gonna stop here and go to bed.

Actually the other world I imagine was living in a Big house with my parents and have enough money to buy a few jumbo jets.

Oh wait never mind the worst part was I barely had a child hood and had close to zero time with my parents but we're starting to catch up.

There're alot of family and kids out there that's been and in worst situation but to me this was a nightmare that should never occur.

You know those TV adds that shows kids in need of help and all. I bet you 50 or more percent of people who's registered on this forum had never participate or met these people in person not only we were stuggling but volenteer and help every cent and sweat.

oh man I can't stop writing ok I done :)

Sorry I guess the typing it at 2.42am made it a little hard to understand but I got the gist of it. You guys have certainly been through alot more than the average person. I can assure you of that.

Atleast now like you say you guys can make up for it now and build the cars you want.

Anyway its time for me too go to bed now its 1:30am and i've just got home from my shift work. So i'm off to bed too!

I feel I might have to get some time in the garage tomorrow morning and work on my datsun!

Should meet me in person lol.

I am 20 still very young to many 510 owners and I do agree with ya on loosing interest in projects.

I can't convince anybody even my parents that when I set myself to do something I do it and finish it so it is understandable since I'm young.

The only way to prove it is to finish it and I love being RIGHT.

Young people looses interested in alot of thing and I can't say that I don't.

Fyi I did bought my 510 with my own earning money as well as my motor, if you read all the post I did say it's not easy to get my parents money their first priorty is to keep the company going.

I'm just hopping that when it comes to the body work I'm not gonna be the one who's paying for it.

Like I said should meet me in person lol.

I have a dream ............................. of being a race car driver

Formula 1 or American le man Prototype LMP1 or 2 :)

Ofcourse it not gonna happen right away or starting at that point but in time ;)

There are alot of Dreamers,but I dont dream I do it,wondering what color to paint there car,I would get worry about getting it running right,or "should" they do a swap,I can go on. And when you see some of there cars well you'll Know and ask you drive that.

But if you finish your swap cool beans,just do it. All you need are some welding skills and motivation. I try to stay away from here but like to show what I can do and can. It's not about money it's about doing it! Good luck man!

• 2 weeks later...

There are alot of Dreamers,but I dont dream I do it,wondering what color to paint there car,I would get worry about getting it running right,or "should" they do a swap,I can go on. And when you see some of there cars well you'll Know and ask you drive that.

But if you finish your swap cool beans,just do it. All you need are some welding skills and motivation. I try to stay away from here but like to show what I can do and can. It's not about money it's about doing it! Good luck man!

Haha that's what I said does anybody even read and atleast try to understand what I'm writing down on this page lol?

Actually scratch that you are but you're just not proccessing it .... yeah that's right :)

I'm not gonna even explain it again it's pointless.

Motivation I got more than enough. "It's not about money" common you are not serious are you lol this is epic!

Haha thats what I said does anybody even read and atleast try to understand what I'm writing down on this page lol?

not when you type a rambling novel, no.

(I did beacuse I read everything but most woulnt)

dont loose your modivation ;)

its alot of work, most kids that are used to working on and driving newer cars get amped up, buy an older car and then find out they cant deal with it.

dont be one :P I hope to see you finish a killer swap

not when you type a rambling novel, no.

(I did beacuse I read everything but most woulnt)

dont loose your modivation ;)

its alot of work, most kids that are used to working on and driving newer cars get amped up, buy an older car and then find out they cant deal with it.

dont be one :P I hope to see you finish a killer swap

lol good one, wasn't talking about you but anyway thank you I'll try not to be one of them and finish this project.