1968 Datsun 520 SD22 diesel build

Just bought a low mileage sd22 with 5 speed in a rolling chassis... Thinking of putting it in my 521... Would you do this swap again or?

I did it, this is a 1969 datsun 521(I made it a kingcab) truck cab sitting on a 1981-82 datsun 720 KC diesel frame with a SD25 diesel engine, it is the same block as a SD22 engine, this truck has power steering, power brakes, it also has the 1984 nissan shortshaft 5 speed transmission, so the shifter comes out the stock 521 shifter hole. I used the 720 diesel wiring harness with the 720 tilt steering column, so I have intermitant wipers, lights and key are on the column. I think this link below will get you to my project, I am just recently making this truck a daily driver, you know how it is, you get the bulk of the project done then start dragging the feet when other projects get in the way. wayno

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22928-1969-datsun-kingcab-project/page__view__findpost__p__375219__hl__wayno__fromsearch__1

DSCN0644.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your windshield have a few issues?:blink: Everyone needs a arm rest for the right elbow. :cool:

Ya i found a new windshield at a local glass shop but need new gasket(ebay). I didn't have room for the sub woofer any where else but it does make a good arm rest.cool.gif

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It is finally drivable! I have spent the last two days driving this truck with zero I issues. A big Thank You to all the folks on Ratsun for all your help in getting this truck back on the road. This truck is far from done but at least I can drive it. My next project on this truck is a ball joint disk brake conversion, and raising it up a bit in the front.

Heres a few updated pics from yesterday.

2011-08-06104931.jpg

2011-08-06104954.jpg

2011-08-06105046.jpg

2011-08-06105018.jpg

• Like 1

When you get the frontend done/completed and take it in to have it aligned, they will ajust the height for alingment purposes. But if it is hitting the fenders or bottoming out you can get under there and tighten the torsion bars the same amount on both sides. I to have taken a long time to get mine to DD status also, but it feels good to be there, doesn't it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I just put a gasser alternator because I didnt need the vacuum pump because I dont have power brakes. Iam getting about 35 40 mpg. Cant wait to see more of your 521 diesel conversion.cool.gif

What, no photos of the alt. conversion. :lol: What are you doing with the power brake pump, someone needed one of them recently.

• Like 1

It wasnt much too do just basicly take oyt bolt back in again the only thing that I had to do different is get a plug from a gasser 720 and solder it onto the the diesle harness.

My vacuum pump was broken.

• Like 1

I just put a gasser alternator because I didnt need the vacuum pump because I dont have power brakes. Iam getting about 35 40 mpg. Cant wait to see more of your 521 diesel conversion.cool.gif

I have only once got mileage like what you are talking about here, I got 36mpg once on the hiway. Your not talking about kilometers, correct? I have a SD25 in my 521 now, but have never taken it on a long trip yet to find out the mileage yet. My speedo is off also, it shows 80mph when I am doing 70mph, I need to change the rear gears to fix it.

• Like 1

Iam getting 6l/100km (thats the canadian way) when I convert that from metric I get about 39 mpg. I drive mosty highway to work. My speedo is also out 70 mph is about 65 mph on my gps. My 520 probably weighs a little less than your king cab 521.

• Like 1

Iam getting 6l/100km (thats the canadian way) when I convert that from metric I get about 39 mpg. I drive mosty highway to work. My speedo is also out 70 mph is about 65 mph on my gps. My 520 probably weighs a little less than your king cab 521.

I did forget to mention that the 36mpg that I did get was in my 1982 datsun 720 diesel(SD22) truck with the tailgate down going 55 to 60mph empty. I am unable to drive that slow, I showed great restraint that day, it was everything I could do to keep my foot out of the pedal, on the way back I got about 30mpg going 65+ with an engine in the back and the tailgate up.

• Like 1

I did forget to mention that the 36mpg that I did get was in my 1982 datsun 720 diesel(SD22) truck with the tailgate down going 55 to 60mph empty. I am unable to drive that slow, I showed great restraint that day, it was everything I could do to keep my foot out of the pedal, on the way back I got about 30mpg going 65+ with an engine in the back and the tailgate up.

Heres an interesting artical I found about having the tailgate up or down... http://www.trucktestdigest.com/TTDfeatures/FeatureTailgateUporDown.htm The speed limit around here is 100 kmh or 62 mph so keeping it under 65 is not a problem.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

This weekend I added power lock actuators and a door pop solenoid. The door pod solenoid that that I had was a 15 pound and it was not big enough to open the doors, so I am going to order a bigger one. so here is a few pics of the installation.

20120205120537.jpg

20120205120258.jpg

20120205095917.jpg

20120205095917.jpg

20120205095846.jpg

20120205095704.jpg

The actuators just bolted to the the out side door handles it was a very easy job.

Here is a picture of the new gauges that got from Radio that I converted to LEDs.

20120128184250.jpg

20120125195232.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Nice! I am hoping for 25mpg with my setup. 33" tires aren't going to make for great MPG I don't think.

A coworker and I have been building a setup to filter used ATF to 5 microns and have been running his 96' 7.3 powerstroke on 90% ATF, 10% pump diesel. Soon to be building my own filtering setup. Screw $4 a gallon for diesel! LOL!

Oh, Got my SD22 running!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...