Help me pick this out!!

So I wanna do something a little special with my Sunny. I'm in the process of painting it Safety Red, but that's not enough. I've been looking into pearl flakes, metal flakes, and all kinds of stuff. Even glow in the dark pigments. (sounds cool as hell!)

I need you guys to help me decide if I should do it or not, and if so what I should use. Type, color, in the clear coat or paint, that kind of thing.

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/

This is the paint....

PICT0055.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you shoot a pearl or metal flakes they MUST be mixed in with your clear coat. Then topped with 2 or 3 coats of just clear.

Is the red rattle can ?

I ask that because an automotive clear coat shot over rattle can may create a nasty reaction & be a big mess.

If it's automotive paint i think a few coats of pearl [any color] will have a nice effect & be easier to shoot.

If you shoot a pearl or metal flakes they MUST be mixed in with your clear coat. Then topped with 2 or 3 coats of just clear.

Is the red rattle can ?

I ask that because an automotive clear coat shot over rattle can may create a nasty reaction & be a big mess.

If it's automotive paint i think a few coats of pearl [any color] will have a nice effect & be easier to shoot.

I just read that online right after I posted :P

It's gun sprayed, but it's a cheap rustoleum. Its and oil based paint paint that was thinned with %15 acetone as directions stated, tto thin it out for use with a gun.

That's what I was thinking about doing for my hood twofinger_salute.gif

I though the idea of a hood that changes color would really fuck up the cops that are watching out for me :P

"Didn't I see that car the other day?"

"Nah man, that one had a white hood."

Fuck that, it would look like clown hair!!! The hood isn't the same temp all over and it would look like a rainbow.

rainbow-clown-wig.jpg

haha lol.gif good point!

Stop stealing my ideas Mike!!!!

Nice rim addition tongue.gif I knew there had to be inspiration to go along with that hood.

Okay, So I need some help here. Not really all that related.

I wet-sanded my fender last night, and just got back home from Lowes (read my other post to LOL) and mixed the paint and loaded it up in the freshly cleaned gun. As soon as I sprayed, the gun seemed to be spitting and not spraying right. I though it was PSI and I glanced down at the integrated guage and it said 60PSI, which is the recommended pressure. I hadn't made any adjustments to the gun since the first coat, which turned out excellent other then a small bit of orange peeling, which I fixed with wet-sanding and another coat.

This is what the coat I just layed down came out like.

IMAG1202.jpg

Edited by metalmonkey47

Did you clean the gun really good???

I always spray a 1/2 cup of paint thinner through the gun immediately after spraying paint....... ... so the nozzle doesn't get clogged with paint.

Also there should be a few adjusters on the gun.......... I usually try to get a good spray going with paint thinner before mixing the paint......... it sounds like the adjustments are off,,,,, or the nozzle is clogged

Did you clean the gun really good???

I always spray a 1/2 cup of paint thinner through the gun immediately after spraying paint....... ... so the nozzle doesn't get clogged with paint.

Yeah, I used a 3 step process a painter once told me.

I sprayed each in the following order.

1: 1/4 cup of paint thinner

2: 1/4 cup of acetone

3: 1/4 cup of xylene

Edited by metalmonkey47

Try spraying just paint thinner and see if the gun is still "spitting"....

If it does: then try turning the adjusters until it stops spitting................ If that doesnt work: try soaking the nozzle in paint thinner for a few hours (or overnight)

Try spraying just paint thinner and see if the gun is still "spitting"....

If it does: then try turning the adjusters until it stops spitting................ If that doesnt work: try soaking the nozzle in paint thinner for a few hours (or overnight)

Okay, sounds good.

How do you adjust the gun? I've never done any adjustment. I know that I have one to control how large the area that I spray is, but how do I need to make adjustments on the other one? Turn in or out?

I would count how many turns in it will go........ so you know where it was

But if you are really brave you could just start taking it apart............ It sounds like you need to take the nozzle out and soak it...

There sre some very small springs and "air bleed" needles............ so if you do take it apart..... have a clean area to catch the springs

But first: just try spraying paint thinner..... one of the adjusters should be a air:paint ratio........ turned in: it sprays only air........ turned out: it sprays clumps of paint............ there is only one "sweet spot" for most paint guns............... good luck

I would count how many turns in it will go........ so you know where it was

But if you are really brave you could just start taking it apart............ It sounds like you need to take the nozzle out and soak it...

There sre some very small springs and "air bleed" needles............ so if you do take it apart..... have a clean area to catch the springs

But first: just try spraying paint thinner..... one of the adjusters should be a air:paint ratio........ turned in: it sprays only air........ turned out: it sprays clumps of paint............ there is only one "sweet spot" for most paint guns............... good luck

Alright, will do. Thanks a bunch!!