Help Please

Cahoon520

I just finished swaping the third member from my 81 diesel into my 68 520. When i went to slide the axles in the axles were about 1/4 of an inch too long. What are my options can cut the axles down by a 1/4 inch? Is there spacers that I can use?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you use your 520 axles? Post some pictures up please. what model is the axle you took the third member from. Should be on a plate in the engine compartment usually on the passenger side inner fender well, sometimes hidden behind the washer bottle a& relays bolted tothe inner fender well just below the hood near the firewall.

I am getting ready to swap a 1980 720 complete 3.889 rear end into my 1966 520. If it ends up being to much of a hassle or is to long then I will do third member & complete brakes if the backing plates will work.

Did you use your 520 axles? Post some pictures up please. what model is the axle you took the third member from. Should be on a plate in the engine compartment usually on the passenger side inner fender well, sometimes hidden behind the washer bottle a& relays bolted tothe inner fender well just below the hood near the firewall.

I am getting ready to swap a 1980 720 complete 3.889 rear end into my 1966 520. If it ends up being to much of a hassle or is to long then I will do third member & complete brakes if the backing plates will work.

I am using the axles from the 520 and I don't have the 720 I sent it to lthe recyclers but know the gears in this one are 3.889. I starting to think I should have swaped out th whole rearend it might been less of a hassle.

The width of the 720 axle assy is wider than the 620 so will be wider than the 520.

Hey Mike I blame you for giving me this idea of swaping the third members. Lol Now I just need to draw from you infinite datsun knowledge on how to fix my little problem.

From my FSM 1966 & 1980 center thread width of both alxes there is 1" difference. I know this is 1" can be corrected with wheel of set.

Datzenmike when I get these 2 rear ends together I will take measurements and pictures and note the differences that I find. I will be doing this so you can add this information to your personal note book so you will have some actual measurements to share with other Datsun people. I have researched axle differences over the last 2 years and all I have come up with is that the 620 & 720 are longer no actual measurments.

I am going to post this info in a new post. Where would you like me to post it datzenmike?

Check out this link of Mike Klotz's how to wiyh videos.

MKlotz swapping spider gears

Cahoon 520,

What or where is the axle binding or stopping to go in further?

Is the axle hittng the side gear shaft or center block?

Are the axle slines bottoming out in the spider gears?

Is the outer axle bearing not bottoming in the axle housing?

Did you install new axle bearings?

Did you keep the axles oriented to the side of the Differential they came out of? Usually one axle is longer.

Pistures would help to solve this problem.

I am very committed to helping you solve this problem as I will be doing this soon.

I knew mike liked tranny's, shocked to know he's into swapping members :blink:

Mike is like a Datsun encyclopedia, he has knowledge that just amazes me and if I can help him compile more information I will do it.

Okay iam just an idiot. I went out there and kick the axles in and now the fit. Thanks guys for all your help I guess I was too tired last night . Working for 9 hours then coming home to work on my truck for 4 hours is starting to add up.