Blew my differential

So coming home today on the 5 freeway.. i felt the car strted to lock up.. and slaming noise when shifting gears or accelerating hard... about 5 miles from home hear the big bang.. My diff is gone lol... it was a subaru 3.90 open.. so now neede to go diff hunting..

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So coming home today on the 5 freeway.. i felt the car strted to lock up.. and slaming noise when shifting gears or accelerating hard... about 5 miles from home hear the big bang.. My diff is gone lol... it was a subaru 3.90 open.. so now neede to go diff hunting..

That sucks man ! well at least you know where to look. I have to put in the OPEN R-200 I got from Phlebmaster into my 1973 Datsun 240z here pretty soon ( current is a worn R-180 )( when I get monies available to buy the rubber mount first because one that is in there is beaten to death ! LOL ) You can really start to hear the whine on the drive side of the Ring in the differential just whine and howl :blink: :lol: :unsure:

At Least I have my U-Joint Half-Shafts Rebuilt ready to go in with the new differential mount and the R-200 Diff when I get the monies for the rubber :cool:

Good luck Man.

does the mustache bar have to be modded on the z?

IDK what to modify on the R-180 m-bar to get the R-200 Diff to fit :huh: , but that's why I just bought the R-200 complete set-up out of a 77 280z. ( Included is the R-200 --->>> mustache bar , swing arms , cv joints , hubs , bolts , the works it's all there ready to bolt in as an entire unit :cool: ) Just bolts in , and is easy peeezy !

I also have 280zx Turbo Half-shafts with stub axles , and companion flanges , but I choose to use the U-Joint Half-Shafts from a spare 240z set I rebuilt already , why not ya know ? :lol: :D

That reminds me , I need Bushings for the R-200 M-Bar before it goes in :o

Too many one tire fires. :lol: LSd'll fix that.

Dont mean to jack your thread but ive been hearing some hard hitting noises from the rear with i shift gears. I jacked up the rear and turned the drive shaft and it moves about an inch or two before it engages the differential, is that normal? :blink: I thought it would be the u joints so i ordered some to replace all of them on my car.

the drive shaft joints seem ok, theres very hardly any movement there more in the half shafts, but think of it this way if i didn't have the drive shaft connected to the rear, the top plate to the diffy would still rotate about an inch and then start turning my tires it makes a hard hitting sound which seems similar to the one im hearing when driving. Im no mechanic so ill jack up the car again and look closer, thanks mike & hainz

what I do to ck half shaft ,Is jack up the car and move the wheel while you under it. ck closely to the inner and outter U joint. move wheel back and worth. Do both side. If U joint is worn it will be obvious. Esp on a lowered 510.

I have never changed a Driveline U joint in 22years of owner datsun 510s/

Half shfts I have doem many a half shaft swap. Got spares ready to go in!!!!!!!