510 vibrations

So, I have been driving my 510 localy around town making longer and longer journeys from home to test its reliability and work the bugs out of it for its final journey to canby then a road trip to california with the wife eventually. Everything seems to be pretty good, the bugs I do have I am working on at the moment. I have one issue I was wondering about and not sure how to solve. At the speed of around 50-55 vibrations in the rear kick in and the trucnk and rear doors rattle and stuff. I talked to icehoue and he said they all seem to do that and think its related to the andgle of the axles due to the lowered stance of the car. I dont have a rear trunk seal and that adds noise but even if I had seals it would be there. Have any of you guys experienced this? Is it common? Have you tried to correct this issue? Is it worth pulling my rear axles out and having new u joints installed? Balancing the rear wheels? Is it the rear end fuct up? What is this? It is really obnoxious..... Its a cut and balanced driveshaft so I doubt thats the problem. Should I put a level on the drive shaft and lower the trans down to perfect even if I can. I just dont know but if it didnt have that vibration and was smooth through the rpm power it would be so much better. Do you think if I added a pound of dynamat it would eliminate it?

Also, the tranny is noisy as #$#@. Quieter when the clutch is pressed in and noisey too when reversing. I dont have sound matt in yet just carpet pad to help so is this normal. Also one more question. Can I put dynamat or some material underneath the car between the trans and tunnel to help with noise and make the car quieter????

Thanks for the input guys....see you at canby!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try balancing the rears! It is not likely its your trans-diff driveshaft, maby the diff-wheel shafts?

Get some stick on sound deadiner and put it under the carpet on the floor, works GREAT!

Is it worth pulling my rear axles out and having new u joints installed?

Balancing the rear wheels?

Its a cut and balanced driveshaft so I doubt thats the problem. Should I put a level on the drive shaft and lower the trans down to perfect even if I can. .

Drive shaft damage and wear and tire balance are the two likely causes. If you don't know the condition of your U joints it would be a good idea to inspect for damage and replace any iffy ones. This would include the shortened drive shaft. Maybe remove the drive shaft and have a shop check it again. Attempting to level the drive shaft can add to the problem if you don't know what you are doing.

Swap the front and rear tires... if the problem moves to the front then a tire is out of balance.

Is it the rear end fuct up?

Rear ends usually make noise when 'fuct up'. If left uncorrected it 'may' vibrate but usually they growl and groan.

Also, the tranny is noisy as #$#@. Quieter when the clutch is pressed in and noisey too when reversing. I dont have sound matt in yet just carpet pad to help so is this normal. Also one more question. Can I put dynamat or some material underneath the car between the trans and tunnel to help with noise and make the car quieter????

Do you think if I added a pound of dynamat it would eliminate it?

Noise from the transmission is indicative of wear or a problem. A floor covering is the same as holding your hands over your ears. The sound may be gone but the problem isn't. Yes cover the floor if you wish,

but at the very least, check the tranny oil level and mounting bolts on the motor and the tranny mount for tightness. It's cheap and easy to do.

If you want to go low you will need CV axles or deal with some vibration. Or you could raise the rear and see if it is decreased. I think Frank and Jeff have a penultimate crossmember for sale. Don't think it will help. Just a thought.

Bryce

I had the same issue on both of our 2 door 510s I raised the rear up about 3/8" +/- and the vibration got better, the half shaft get all bound up from the angles you get when you lower the rear to much

Clayton

Hmmm....Ive got my 1050 pound springs on their way, should be here next week...maybe I should cut them slightly longer than whats in there now. Damn though...I want the rim tuck in the back! I dunno. Its definatley something I can live with.....simple solution drive faster than 50mph ha ha. I just got back from a drive....she dont vibrate a 100, nice and smooth with another gear to go........:)