Opinions on reground cams?

Spades

So, how does everyone feel about re-ground camshafts? Bad idea or good idea? I know that my dad and his friends have said bad idea, or at least it was back in the 70's when they were building engines. I know metallurgy has come a long way in 30 years, but has it come far enough to make re-grounds reliable enough for a daily driver?

I have a naps z20s, and my cam options are very limited because of the overlap of the valves on the naps z series engine. I know I can go with a little bit more lift and duration than stock, and we have done business with Oregon Cam Grinding before, and have not had any problems with them yet. They can make a cam slightly more radical than stock, kind of like a stage 1 or RV cam for my z20.

Figured I would ask here before I spend money.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_blank.html?pages/vehicle_search.html

Know nothing about Z series heads or if they use lash pads ect...........or if they are avail or how you adjust them

but webcamshafts makes new cams.

as for the regrinds aI guess it should matter how good the cam was cured(hardened) before they regrind it.

regrind will alwasy use bigger lash pads as they remove material from the back side of the cam to get the extra lift out of them.

I have a regrind in my Banzai car. seems OK but from now On I will pay more and get NEW

I use Delta Cams in Tacoma. They can get you billet aftermarket CAMS made (if available) and grind new OEM cams to spec. I have used them for years with good results. In fact, my machine shop I use swears by them and Bud's Machine Shop has been in business for over 40 years. My D50 motor from memory has a .282 .435 regrind which is a popular grind for D50 and Starion enthusiasts.

BTW - The CAM is Cold Hardened

That regrind I have is a Delta on my car. says 475/275 but never measured it.

However I did get 3 more delta Cams from them. I drove home and measured them and they werent per spec.I emailed them they never responded back. they were 40$apc plus I gave my 3 cores.

I gave the Cams away. they wer more or less stock lift with slightly longer duration.

If you can guereentee the measurement is per spec then Yes they(Delta) are OK cam grinders

But I said Fuck it Im buying new!!!! and you dont have to get the HUGE lash pads. Usually .160 is close enough depending on how much machining withe the head/valves/seats is done

thats the thing - measuring a regrind is the key. you can buy the cam and it'll run, but its been my experience that you don't always get what you pay for. my .525" lift 265 degree ( @ .050") cam was actually .488" and 476/486 @ .050 - and that was at ZERO lash - even less cam lift installed at .009/011! so you never know for sure - the damn thing was ground 10 degrees off center as well so it took a long time to get it installed straight up. that pissed me off. bloody regrinds.

NOTE TO DELTA CAMS: Don't use Hainz as a reference.

well I had 3 out of spec and another guy on NWDE had a out of Spec one also. I think I sense a PATTERN HERE

Thats alright you guys can buy from them. But better in person with a Caliper to conferm the spec sheet.

I got 2 .450lift Cams and there were 390 and 400 lift. and the ohter was listed as a 460lift and really was a .412 lift. Then you have to buy .160 lash pads to make this right just to run a stock cam with slight longer duration. Im not getting it?????????

I wrote to them about this over a email. Guess what? Never heard back about making it right.

Hainz, I don't think lash pads are needed on the Z series if the cam lift is changed. The Z series is more like a chevy. The rocker arm works like a see saw and the cam lobe lifts up on the rocker and it pushes the valve down. I'm not explaining very well but the lash adjuster is directly above the cam lobe on the one end of the rocker arm.

NOTE TO DELTA CAMS: Don't use Hainz as a reference. :lol:

FWIW, I've also only heard positive words regarding Delta. Two others with verified, happy users are:

Colt Cams in BC

American Custom Cam in Socal

my cam was from Colt, and although they were kind enough to answer phone calls and get me the installation specs (that should have been with the cam in the first place), they were not willing to make a cam with specs that they advertised - IE no quality control, leaving me with an inferior product. Get your cam from them, but do so knowing you may not be getting what is advertised.

My 620 has had a Web Cam custom regrind in it since forever. (the guy asked what my uncle wanted out of it and ground it for the truck after getting all the engine info) There's probably 100,000 miles on it too! Can't speak for the accuracy but never had a problem with running this particular regrind.

Paul

NOTE TO DELTA CAMS: Don't use Hainz as a reference. :lol:

FWIW, I've also only heard positive words regarding Delta. Two others with verified, happy users are:

Colt Cams in BC

American Custom Cam in Socal

Jeff Colt is a great guy, he used to work for Shadbolt in the old days. I've run a Shadbolt 445 and 449 cam and I like them both, the 449 is more suited for me though. The cams they do for L's are all regrinds these days as there are no Nissan billets left.

i have a z24 and sent my cam to schneider cams. never did measure things (so my post is almost worthless) they told me over the phone that the weld new material on lobe then grind back down to desired spec, rather than taking material off the backside. with a name like schneider it must be good... p.s. its a "274F" regrind

I had been using CROWER CAM from San Diego and I did not have any problem to their cams. I sent my stock cam and they reground it in your spec.The last one they did was 312 advertised duration with 584 lift on the Z24 motor. Ofcourse, I notched the pistons to clear the valves.