covering bench seat and stereo question

Sickboy1031

Im getting my floor pans linexed on wednesday on my '73 620and im gonna have the seat out I have heard a lot of people who went with buckets wish they had stuck with the bench so I think Im gonna get the bench re covered. Whats a reasonable price to get this done? and also I was thinking about putting a cd player in. where is a good place to mount it I kinda think it would be a shame to remove the AM Radio entirely and I dont know if there is a kit that will fit that spot anyway. any input would be rad.

Oh yeah I lost a fender bolt on the freeway the one that attaches at the very bottom anyone know what size and teeth I need?

Thanks

Erik

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im getting my floor pans linexed on wednesday on my '73 620and im gonna have the seat out I have heard a lot of people who went with buckets wish they had stuck with the bench so I think Im gonna get the bench re covered. Whats a reasonable price to get this done? and also I was thinking about putting a cd player in. where is a good place to mount it I kinda think it would be a shame to remove the AM Radio entirely and I dont know if there is a kit that will fit that spot anyway. any input would be rad.

Oh yeah I lost a fender bolt on the freeway the one that attaches at the very bottom anyone know what size and teeth I need?

Thanks

Erik

Don't know on the bench seat but, you can put a delete plate in where the stock AM radio is and put the cd player in a center console.

So i was gonna just do the bench seat today since I have to pull it out for line x on wednesday so I called a place in town they wanted 350 to 400 for it so I called this shop a little farther out of town and it seems the guy is having trouble getting rent paid this month so he tells me 200 I ran out there to get it done and he tells me for 450 he will do the bench door panels and the headliner I am stoked i get to pick it up tomorrow have them leave the bench out and line x for the bed and floors on wednesday I am gonna be completely broke at the end of all this but man this project is coming together fast

Got mine in bus seat vinyl done for 318 with piping I took the original stereo out pit it away and

went an bought a retrosound model one it's great for using my iPhone with the aux in and If later on someone wants the original you have it and didn't modify the location. If it were me I wouldn't cut the dash but some people do

So the deal just got sweeter i looked under the vinyl at my floor that the guys said needed to be sand blasted and there is only a tiny bit of surface rust so I was thinking hey if thats the cas i will just sand that off and put down sume rustoleum then have the guy who is doing the rest of this work do the carpet I called him and he said if i get it done today he will cover the dash with vinyl sand the surface rust off the floor and rattle can some rust inhibitor on it then carpet it so I get my dash recovered my seat upholstered a new headliner and door panels re covered for 700 total I think this is a screaming deal and im just gonna tell the line x guys on wednesday just to do the bed I kinda felt like I was getting hosed on the price for the floor pans anyway

yeah they are gonna install everything it sounded like they were worried about making rent this month so theyre hooking it up. as far as the stereo goe i guess i just was a little partial to the goofy AM only one but i might just have it put in the normal spot now that my dash will be covered

Good score on the upholstery. I'm also torn on the stereo deal, I hate cutting holes in stuff, and what to do? Dash or console? Those Retrosounds are cool, but $300?? NOT. I'm leaning towards dash with removable faceplate. I'd hate to cut a perfect console, and the "Datsun" delete plate looks good where it is.

Post some pics when you get yer rig back!!

figure a way to mount it elsewhere. a CD player will fit in the original opening IF you hack the bezel and the dash metal. i put one in my 78 and it was still a tight fit adn needed some major trimming for the bezel to fit. i was gonna put one in my 73 but when i got it apart, the mounts for the original radio were one peice witht he dash. i would leave teh OE radio and put one in the under dash shelf or glove box. as for everything else, thats a SCREAMING deal.

If it were me, I'd take the original AM radio and remove the volume knob potentiometer, buy a thing called a "dual amp balancer". strip the case off and reinstall it in the place of the factory knob. Then you can reinstall the the factory knob on to it, so the radio looks completely factory again. Then you just hook up whatever RCA input you want (Ipod/mp3, cd player under the seat, etc.) and the other end to an amp of your choice. Now you can control the volume of the Ipod or whatever, just like you would on the factory AM radio. This will totally mess with your friends, lol. It works great, I've built hundreds of them over the years. You can usually find the dual amp balancers for around $25. It makes everything completely stealth, but lets you listen to whatever you really want.

They look something like this (this is a pic of a sony one, this is just to show you what they look like)

h158XA74.jpeg

• Like 1

Got it back today the pictures are from my phone and the light not too good but im stoked

24980_1119034073838_1766634145_244702_6331206_n.jpg

24980_1119034473848_1766634145_244703_3161396_n.jpg

24980_1119034713854_1766634145_244704_3841308_n.jpg

24980_1119035113864_1766634145_244705_6628592_n.jpg

750 out the door with completely re padded seat carpet and padding recovered door panels and they even went to the junk yard and got me a new interior panel and they recovered the dash