lowering a 510

racerx

Need your opinion guys:

I have a 71 510, lowered but I think the previous owner cut the springs. I want to lower the right way, too bouncy for my taste.

What's the best way also inexpensive..want to lower about 2". Let me know what I need (parts), tools, where to buy and any other tech. stuff I need to know. Thanks a bunch guys.

1). coil overs

2). aftermarket springs that has been cut but I think they only go lower by like 1"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A popular way to lower the front on stock components without cutting the springs is to cut the spring perch, drop it down, and re-weld it to the strut housing. No cutting of springs necessary. For this you'll need a hacksaw/die grinder, and access to a welder(another approach I've seen is using a "collar" for the spring perch to sit on). Very simple.

For the rear, if you want it a little stiffer, you can get front springs from a mid-80's Dodge D50(I picked up a set for $30) and cut those down to whatever height you want. They're a little stiffer, and fit very nicely under the rear.

There are many avenues to explore, whether you want to go with coil overs, aftermarket lowering springs, or something different altogether. There are many write ups between here and the510realm, so do a little research and all you'll need to do really is make a decision on what works best for you. Good luck!

i jsut picked up a set of d-50 springs and i notiiced when i cut them one has a blue marking and one has a red.. well i cut exactly 1 coil off each.. but my car sits nice.. but its about a 1/4 inch higher on the pass side... the side the blue ones on.....

so im thinking these are diff rates maybe the truck weights more on one side then the other..idk but im going to find another truck and get a set and pair eaither the bluw or red set up and see if my car levels out/...... idk about you but if the car dont sit perfect at all 4 corners it bugs the shit out of me

but dodge d-50 springs cut 1 coil and a brand new pair of kyb gr2s mMmmmm=sex!!! handels NICE back their!!! if i can only get it to level out now

oh and let me recomend this to anyone lowering their 510...BUY 280zx struts and get a DIY coilover kit and some slide on colars... point being.. 510 struts SUCK for lowering the car they are soo long that once you get it at a nice hieght you always bottoming out cuz the struts are soo long.... the 280zx strut is about 1 inch shorter in stock form... i got what i recomended it was very cheap and the cars lower then most of you would want and rides awesome.... UNTILL i throw it in a hard corner (i have no sway bar) and it bottoms out pretty god on a hard turn... soo next mod i will make is shorten the struts with the mr2 inserts and a nice sway bar

pic of said ride height... i can also go about 1 inch lower and still drive fine but bottom out on big bumps or i an go 2-3 inches high then the car will never bottom out...

chriscampics358.jpg

i have 275lb springs up front and kyb gr2 all the way around and for a DD my suspention set up is PERFECT... but im a racer soo i always want better...

for the front I would totally recommend getting the zx struts and brakes and you can either put new shocks and go coil overs or if you want even better ride get the mr2 inserts and cut the housings to fit them and then install the coil overs. I would also recommend changing bushings and steering parts if your parts are old or worn out. as for the back you can do the D50 spring mod or go coilovers also from like ground conrol or ermish racing or technotoy. I see you live in the bay area as I do also and going the extra bit and using the MR2 inserts for more travel would be nice considering you want to go at least 2" of lowering and also since the roads up here are horrible.

... but its about a 1/4 inch higher on the pass side... the side the blue ones on.....

so im thinking these are diff rates maybe the truck weights more on one side then the other..idk .

This is because you fat arse is on the low side :lol: Swap sides with the springs, one may be stiffer.

Yeah, there is a DQ article explaining it, but I don't think they do a great job of telling you what it's going to do to the ride height. Check out my build, there's some pictures of what it'll do to your car.

My Build

Micro,

Dang it you scored on that 510..like $150 or $300 either way that's a steal...

So if I do cut the stock spring perch, how many inches?

What you can do is go to the local parts store and buy a few exhaust clamp(2 1/4" should do). To do both sides, you'll want 4. You'll also want some grade 8 bolts(4) 4-4 1/2" in length along with washers, lock washers, and nuts.

What you do is take the exhaust clamps, and remove the "U" bolts, leaving you with the piece that the nuts fasten against(You'll need 2 of these per side). Once you have cut the spring perch off(be careful not to butcher it in the process) and have ground down the weld flush with the strut tube, you can freely slide the perch up and down.

At this point, you'll use the 2 ex-exhaust clamps and 2 grade 8 bolts from before to create a "collar(1 per side)" that will tighten against the strut tube. This is easily adjustable, as you can loosen the bolts and move the collar, along with spring perch, up and down until you find the height you want. Once you find that height that you want, mark it.

What you do from this point on is totally up to you. You can either weld the spring perch back to the strut tube, or you can use the exhaust clamps(at your own risk) as a permanent collar. If you're gonna go that route, I suggest not only using the washers and lock washers, but also some blue loctite and AT LEAST a couple tack welds below the collar(to keep it from sliding down). I've heard of people using this without issue, but I've also heard of an occasion or two of someone hitting a bump and next thing they know, they're on the bumpstops. I wouldn't go that route without atleast tack welds, so be forewarned.

• Like 1

Gr2 are stock replacements. They are not considered performance shocks/struts.

The cheap old school way I know is to use 280zx struts,510 springs and perches,and some type of 210 upper strut mount. Perfect way to lower it and still have some travel,

The rear would be d50 springs cut down and 68 camaro shocks.

i did the colar mount like said above on my last datsun... and let my dad drive the car on fathers day being nice he called me five min later... i showed up and the car was pretty much sitting on the ground... i would never doo that again i weld a ring on their to hold it permently and use coilovers if you want to adj the suspention...

gr2s pair'd with stiffer springs feels WAY better then stock and is PERFECT for a DD in my eyes... dont think i ever said they where RACE shocks????

"i have 275lb springs up front and kyb gr2 all the way around and for a DD my suspention set up is PERFECT... but im a racer soo i always want better..."

:lol:

and d50 srpings with 85 camaro or firebird shocks work as well.. they are shorter and have the same style mounting..... im sure the 68 may even have the same PN

Gr2 are stock replacements. They are not considered performance shocks/struts.

The cheap old school way I know is to use 280zx struts,510 springs and perches,and some type of 210 upper strut mount. Perfect way to lower it and still have some travel,

The rear would be d50 springs cut down and 68 camaro shocks.

1). 280ZX struts, which ones..to many brands

2). 510 springs, stock and don't cut right?

3). 210 upper strut mount, not sure what this means?

4). how much to cut wuth D50 springs to lower about 2", I am hearing 1.5 coils and camaro shocks, which brand?

Thanks,

RacerX

obviously my help heres not needed soo i will bow out good luck with your suspention set up

No one is knocking on your stuff. I was just stating my opinion. The fact is I have gr2's too. Like you said they leave something to be desired.

Any year 280zx strut should work. No you don't need to cut the springs. Weld the 510 perches to clear the tires. Maybe someone can chime in on the 210 upper strut mounts. I don't know exactly what year or car they come out of but I've seen them on lots of 510's. The 68 camaro shocks look the same as 510 ones only about 3-4 inches shorter. Any brand would do really . Cut the d50 springs a little at a time and trial fit until you are satisfied and sorta matches the front

Thanks...what the heck was I thinking, 210 a Datsun B210, right? okay I was thinking of some part number. I was trying to get lucky with the amount of cutting of the D50 springs and get some close measurements to cut. I think micromachines cut about 1.5 coils, lost his paperwork what he wrote. Maybe I'll cut 1 coil and see how this feels and look. At any rate, I checked my bushings and theres a couple that needs replacing so I may have to get those done first before I do the springs front and back. I am also going to call a couple of spring places to see how much they cost for the front. If I find a place then maybe I will not do the coil overs....btw if I go this route, how many lbs. should I asked for. I think the D50 are like 140 or so. If that's the case should it be about the same for the front?