L22b runs now!

assisted a friend of mine with getting his L22b running today. i like to call it an L22 since it aint a Z block.

anyways, this motor is about 5 years old now. he built it back in high school for his 510, but needed a motor for his truck. now the truck has been sitting for about 2 years with this motor in it. its only got about 3 or 4 hours of run time on it.

its a l20 block with a z22 crank. its 30 over with flattops. a87 head with a little port and polish. and a stage 3 isky cam. its got a stock intake and carb for the time being. just to get it runnin. hes got a set of SU, but hes leaning toward just a 32/36. im actually suprised that it ran with a stocker carb with the massive amount of cam its got lol

its kinda dirty, but heres a couple pics of his datsuns...

IMG00055-20100321-1802.jpg

IMG00056-20100321-1802.jpg

IMG00057-20100321-1802.jpg

IMG00058-20100321-1913.jpg

IMG00059-20100321-1913.jpg

and heres a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxEWVNGWgEw

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An L20B block with 0.030" over bore and Z22 crank would make a motor of 2,124cc. I was going to call BS on this combo but I see now that Z20E pistons, late Z22E rods and Z22 crank would work for this and also have the required flattop pistons! Nice.

Nice, you'll like the extra stroke of the Z22 crank. May I make one suggestion. With all the mods mentioned, a 32/36 will be a piece of shit atop a banana split. You WILL need more carburetion. Dual SUs, dual Webers, splitter manifold to run one big sidedraft Weber, like a 44mm. Investigate your options, a 32/36 will run that motor, but not well.

Nice, you'll like the extra stroke of the Z22 crank. May I make one suggestion. With all the mods mentioned, a 32/36 will be a piece of shit atop a banana split. You WILL need more carburetion. Dual SUs, dual Webers, splitter manifold to run one big sidedraft Weber, like a 44mm. Investigate your options, a 32/36 will run that motor, but not well.

I was thinking that same thing also. I don't even think 38mm su's will run it well but better than the 32/36. I would consider either Z su's or dual sides like mikuni or weber

assisted a friend of mine with getting his L22b running today. i like to call it an L22 since it aint a Z block.

anyways, this motor is about 5 years old now. he built it back in high school for his 510, but needed a motor for his truck. now the truck has been sitting for about 2 years with this motor in it. its only got about 3 or 4 hours of run time on it.

its a l20 block with a z22 crank. its 30 over with flattops. a87 head with a little port and polish. and a stage 3 isky cam. its got a stock intake and carb for the time being. just to get it runnin. hes got a set of SU, but hes leaning toward just a 32/36. im actually suprised that it ran with a stocker carb with the massive amount of cam its got lol

its kinda dirty, but heres a couple pics of his datsuns...

IMG00055-20100321-1802.jpg

IMG00056-20100321-1802.jpg

IMG00057-20100321-1802.jpg

IMG00058-20100321-1913.jpg

IMG00059-20100321-1913.jpg

and heres a video...

tongue.gifthat is my truck and my 510....

im new to the site. i built this when i was in highschool , like five years ago.. lol so like farmer said its an l22 it been bored 30 over z22 crank was polished,but in flat top pistons decked the block .0020 had the head mild ported and polished valve job and i had an isky stg 3 cam for it.. i have a set of 38 su s for it....or i have a used and new 32/36 weber farmer is going to help me find the best setup for this motor... if u have any ideas kick some in k thanks for letting me show ya a couple of pics of my lil datsun...

That sounds pretty lumpy in the video.. Not sure of the specs on the isky stage 3 but must be like a .470 or 480. That would require competition springs. Just trying to get an idea what it has. Perfect candidate for some twin mikuni or weber sidedrafts with chrome stacks!. Why build a hot motor and not top it off. :D Su's would be cool too but maybe not cool enough..

That sounds pretty lumpy in the video.. Not sure of the specs on the isky stage 3 but must be like a .470 or 480. That would require competition springs. Just trying to get an idea what it has. Perfect candidate for some twin mikuni or weber sidedrafts with chrome stacks!. Why build a hot motor and not top it off. biggrin.gif Su's would be cool too but maybe not cool enough..

lift is 480 280 dur orit 490 lift with 290 dur..