Need your advice

pulledpaint001.jpg

O.K. just painted my engine bay. When we went to take the tape off this is what happend. Pulled the paint right off. Needless to say I was a little bummed. Should I try to color match this or throw some nismo style stripes down the side of the fender?

pulledpaint003.jpg

This is a better view.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say color match...but that's just me. Don't think a sticker on that spot would look good. :unsure:

what do ya think about some BRE style stripes running down to the body line mid fender. In a gray color to match my wheels. I'm trying to not color match this. Silver is a bitch to blend. I do have the paint code so I guess I can try it. But I don't want to pay a body shop to do it. Do you think I should take it to the guy I had paint it. You can tell they did a shitty job. The primer under the paint is very smooth. Like they never sanded it before they put the silver down.

It's the hard thing to hear, but if it were me, I would begrudgingly make it right by painting. If you half ass it, it will come back to haunt you. Even if you luck out, YOU will always know that you compromised quality by throwing a sticker down over the mess-up.. and YOUR opinion is worth more than any critic that happens to know what lies beneath the band-aid cover up(Not to mention the fact that if this happened in one spot, yes, the paint job is probably not a quality job that will last).

Yeah, it's a bitch, but that's all part of the paint and body work. I'm doing mine too, and it's by far the most tedious, most stressful part of my build.

That's what I would do. That's my opinion; do with it what you will. Good luck!

You can tell they did a shitty job. The primer under the paint is very smooth. Like they never sanded it before they put the silver down.

Mine did the same thing, except at the inner fender line, not the outer. Shitty? Maybe. The heat rolls past the fenders and hood and can cause that to happen. I think BRE stripes would look classy, and cover that up. Agreed, silver is a PITA to match, and unless you have some of the paint left, you'll end up with something worse, only compounding the problem (and pissing you off more...)

Go BRE!

John that sux. Masking tape no matter the color should NOT peel multiple layers of color like that.

I say prep the area & shoot "most" of the top of that fender. You have a nice curve to blend into.

Ive got everything here to fix it for free other than the color but it doesnt look driveable yet.

You have my # call or text & ill help as much as i can.

• Like 2

John that sux. Masking tape no matter the color should NOT peel multiple layers of color like that.

I say prep the area & shoot "most" of the top of that fender. You have a nice curve to blend into.

Ive got everything here to fix it for free other than the color but it doesnt look driveable yet.

You have my # call or text & ill help as much as i can.

^^^What a guy. :thumbup:

Mark, Thanks for the offer. I think the guy I have helping me with the bay can fix it. I should go back to the shop that painted it and throw a fit. The paint is not that old. And it cost me a pretty good penney to have it done. Like you said it should have never lifted that much paint.

I've done many cars myself and never had any paint peel off like that. Hell I did my race car over ten years ago with cheap paint and it still looks good.

I think both are ideas worth exploring. If doing stripes I think the BRE idea is best considering where the damage is at. Now painting it might be tough to get a match depending on how old the paint job is that peeled, if the pain is on good condition, I would say match it.

I think both are ideas worth exploring. If doing stripes I think the BRE idea is best considering where the damage is at. Now painting it might be tough to get a match depending on how old the paint job is that peeled, if the pain is on good condition, I would say match it.

I had the paint done about 5 years ago. It has never sat outside. As a matter of fact the car has been sitting for at least 2 years indoors with a cover on it most of the time.