pros and cons of a brake booster???

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have all the stuff to do a brake booster in my 510, I have a ka and already have the 280zx disc swap. What are the pros and cons of using a brake booster and would you run one or not?,Thanks

I'm runnuning the 280zx fronts and rear disk and gavent had any trouble with my booster I think that the only conn you would have since you say you have a ka24 is if you go turbo master cylinder could be on your way.

So I have all the stuff to do a brake booster in my 510, I have a ka and already have the 280zx disc swap. What are the pros and cons of using a brake booster and would you run one or not?,Thanks

that's totally an individuals choice. the brakes work with or with out the Booster. I've had them booth ways and prefer with a booster.

without a booster pedal feel is quit firm and ya kinda gotta step on them hard to get the car to stop quick.prolly could use a smaller master to help, but a good set of pads will make a huge difference.

with booster pedal feel is some what spongy, but brakes bite nice, even with ok pads. alot less effort is used to brake from speeds, with porterfield pads, fugetabuotit, marvelous just marvelous,LOL

but this is just my two cents worth

I had a 1980 nissan/datsun 510 station wagon I robbed the engine and transmission for my '72 from. It had a brake booster, and could have been adapted to my '72...however, the strut tower was too close to the firewall and the master cylinder wouldn't have fit, so the decision to buy a new stock '72 master cylinder was an easy one for me to make.

• 2 months later...

I love my brake booster. I have a power brake booster from a 1973 610, it improved brake feel and so easy to engage. I also have a 1981 280ZX (15/16") master cylinder, my car is set-up as a drag car. Before the brake booster I installed a 280ZX front strut/rotors and Maxima rear disc conversion and it still took a lot of foot pressure to stop my 510 after a hard run. But now with this brake booster I'm very please and confident with the braking system.

Of all the systems on a vehicle, hands down, the brakes are the most important. It's vital that they work their best, be as efficient, simple and as easy to use as possible. All a booster does is amplify your foot's input pressure. It's like having a 200lb foot on hand if you need it. This reduces driver fatigue and stress.

Of all the systems on a vehicle, hands down, the brakes are the most important. It's vital that they work their best, be as efficient, simple and as easy to use as possible. All a booster does is amplify your foot's input pressure. It's like having a 200lb foot on hand if you need it. This reduces driver fatigue and stress.

You hit it right. When on a canyon run without the brake booster and that was fun but really exhausting after, with a brake booster it was very enjoyable driving around the canyon. I feel more confident that my brake is working great with it, without the brake booster it feels I really need to smash the brake pedal down to make sure it stops. After several test drag racing without the brake booster the brakes gets hot and really feels spongy, with the booster maybe its me but I don't have that spongy feeling.:thumbup:

Commonly used boosters are off the B210 dating before '79. I've got one that came off a later B210 (81 I think, not sure) and it's not only bigger, but the studs don't line up in the firewall holes too. I can't remember where, but I read a magazine article of a 510 makeover and they used a 280zx or z booster.

Mines to small we can trade!

Any one found a thin. Brahe booster that will work with a 510

Strut tower clearance is pretty tight as-is. You also need the aluminum stand to push it off the firewall enough to clear the clutch master. Maybe you could get away with a thin, firewall mounted booster if you were running an auto.

What booster are you guys using on your dimes? B210? Early 620?

The B210 is the popular one. I saved one off of a '77 I parted a few years ago and it looks like a really nice fit. I haven't actually installed it because I'm waiting for the mock-up of my new engine. Not sure if it'll clear the intake I plan to use.