l28et in 521??

smokeybear

possible/reasonable?? a ka24e swap would be cool, but keeping with the old school style of the car would make me happier.

if i can find a l28et for what it would cost to fix/replace my l16, i would be up for that.

also, 521 and 510 mounts, the same or different?? i realize its a truck vs car situation, but its not much bigger than a car, but the front suspension is right??

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

510/521 mounts are different...you would have to butcher the firewall really good to make it fit...go KA and be the first KA 521

ive considered it, but after all the bullshit i went thru with my s14, i really really really dislike the KA (timing chain bullshit, leaks like a mofo unless the gaskets are brand new etc etc) maybe a vg30 or something like that would be more fun.

I've been looking out for a fire sale on a KA myself after seeing all your work...

I'd even put one in my 320 if I could...

If you make up a harness for a 521 and decide to sell it, I'm first in line...

I threw one away after getting it from S13black on NN cause it was rusty..should have kept it...

that depends on what you have in mind for installation.

What about the 620 with the L28 that moved the radiator to the bed. Put an electric fan on the radiator and you're fine. The firewall was left alone and the engine spanned the length of the engine compartment. But still, I don't know if the L28 would even fit lengthwise in the 521.

If you are willing to cut up the truck for a turbo engine, why no put all that effort into a 4-cyl L20b turbo instead?

more info on this please, thats the first time i have heard of that. ive got a few people interested in my 521 at the moment but ive also had like 6 others interested and they were all tire kickers. also, lets say i just want a cheap way to get this thing running again (well i mean it runs, but leaks too much coolant to drive anywhere) what other cars/trucks could i pull a motor from to put in?? just incase it is a water jacket leak (which with my luck is probably exactly what it is)

I thought you said you wanted an old engine? You sounded like you cared about the truck and wanted something fast and old school. A turbo Z engine is not going to be an easy drop in. If you want cheap, just fix the L16 in there! Or put an L20b (stock) from a 1975-79 Datsun 620 truck in yours. That's a bit more torque and pretty easy to do.

Besides that, you can put any RWD 4-cyl engine in there. A CA18 might fit under the hood (height wise) where a KA24 is going to be pretty tall for that 521.

On my 620 I measured from the back of the valve cover, (presumably you would want the L28 in the same place so that the tranny doesn't have to be moved too) to the engine side of the rad and it's only 25 inches. I suppose the motor could be moved back an inch and the rad removed for another couple of inches, so maybe 28". The 521 must be similar size with the L series engine.

Haha No, I meant is it a 240Z 2 bbl and manifold? Didn't they first come out with a 2bbl, then Hitatchi side drafts then EFI as they got bigger ?

haha I was wondering what you where thinking :rolleyes: jk hehe

• 1 year later...

hmm those are interesting pics.. is that the one with the custom fire wall?? or i wonder what he had to do to it to make it fit.. hmm?? i dont think the turbo shit would clear the steering colum tho would it?? also what about the motor mounts are they custom? hmmm an im talkin for a 620