vw passat question

the wife and i went and bought a 2000 vw passat today. it was a wholesale car that didnt get ran through a shop or anything. it was cheap and a good deal so we bought it. it runs flawlessly, but there are a few electronics issues inside the car.

first off, the auto locks that engage at like 5-7 mph when you go, lock and then unlock again, and then lock once more. this happens more when going around 5-10mph over and over again. also when the locks go, the flashers come on for that short amount of time.

also, when the car is shut off and when any door but the driver door is opened then closed, the locks lock and then unlock, and all the windows roll down.

is there any vw gurus on here that might be able to lend a few helping words? ive been through google and found that just a generic OBd2 code reader wont find all the codes for the vw.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was older i could tell ya where the alarm module is, but since its that new, i cant. my suggestion would be to find that and check the grounds. the one thing i cant stress enough on VWs, is check the grounds. these cars are notorious for bad grounds. also hit up VWVortex. most of the guys there are assholes, BUT usually the passat guys are decent. at least in the B3\B4 section. also it could be the module for the alarm is dead or dieing.

but here is a start, i hope....

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=6

too bad your all the way in Idaho. i know a GREAT mechanic here in Seattle. hes banned though from the vortex due to speaking his mind. too bad the mods cant be banned for the same thing.....

also check out www.finetuningperformance.com . thats my mechanics website. you might be able to bounce the problem off him through his site.

+1 on the ground issue, is the drivers side lock visibly damaged? Open the drivers door and look the wire bundle in the hinge area over. I have see an issue like yours cause buy an aftermarket alarm went tits up cause the noob damage to that loom. The neg trigger for your lock and unlock is in a module inside the door itself. First thing I would do is look for signs of an aftermarket alarm, led, valet switch, siren under hood. That could be the issue as well. Good luck.