Exhaust size recommendation please....

Fuelrags

Hey Guys, I plan on upgrading my Exhaust on my 83' 720 Z24 motor. What size should I run with the stock carb and exhaust manifold. I also "hollowed out" the catalyst for more exhaust flow,so should I go 2 or 2.25??? What are you guys running? Thanks,Martin

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the stock Z24 IS a 2" down pipe. Stay with stock. You motor will not likely see 5,000 plus RPMs anyway. If it does it isn't making much to need a big pipe. Two inch will give best flow speed at highway speeds.

Most people say 2" with most 4 cylinder motors but I prefer 2 1/4". I have 2 1/4" on my L16 in my 521 and it runs great. Just as much power as it would have with any exhaust but its fully ported too. 2" on my l20b in my 510 and I think it would make power a little longer with 2 1/4". 2" would be good for your z24 but 2 1/4 would sound cooler and better high end power. Buy a nice muffler too. Borla or Magnaflow straight through all the way for me. A high quality turbo muffler would be best for a z24 though probably.

2" is fine, 2.25 is okay and more than that you actually hurt performance. BTW what kind of muffler are you installing?

I plan on setting it up old school style;NO catalyst with straight pipe all the way to the rear with a Thrush Turbo Muffler mounted behind the valance with a turn down tip. That's the way we did it in the late 80's. It sounds Bitchin' that way and runs alot better then the muffler mounted before the rear axle with a tail pipe...IMO

I had a 3" pipe turned down before my axles on my turbo ka, and that thing was way toooooo loud! But sounded fricken saweet.

I say 2" would be ideal. 2.25" will give you room to free up more power if you do upgrade the carb or header