dogleg 5 speed question

gen4maxima536

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The info posted was for the longtail, not the dogleg. I'm not sure anyone here has ever SEEN a NAPS-Z dogleg... they're extremely rare as they only came in '80-81 510s as an option.

The only way to tell is by orientation... if the 2 top bell bolts are level with each other with the transmission sitting straight it's probably a NAPS-Z, since the L-series block has a built-in lean.

Of course, if someone has a NAPS-Z dogleg I would trade an L-series dogleg for it.

• 3 months later...

Yes, it appears to me to be for a Z motor. Not an L for sure. If you look down the top centerline there's a casting 'seam' that continues up to the bolt pattern on the 'bell'. If the seam is closer to the right top bolt hole .... it's a NAPS Z . If the seam is to the left top bolt hole it's an L. Just remember...LEFT IS L, LEFT IS L

More side pictures please.

They did make a 63 cm or short 5 speed for the napz powered 4x4 720 trucks, these are just basically a L motor 71cm tranny with a shorter 1st gear and a napz bellhousing. I used one of these trannys in my 510 and it held up quite well to 256 rwh and a bunch of drag lauches on slicks, I would suggest using this tranny(if you can find one) before the early 63cm dogleg tranny as I have had dogleg trannys lock in 3rd, 1st and 5th they are real POS`s.

They did make a 63 cm or short 5 speed for the napz powered 4x4 720 trucks, these are just basically a L motor 71cm tranny with a shorter 1st gear and a napz bellhousing. I used one of these trannys in my 510 and it held up quite well to 256 rwh and a bunch of drag lauches on slicks, I would suggest using this tranny(if you can find one) before the early 63cm dogleg tranny as I have had dogleg trannys lock in 3rd, 1st and 5th they are real POS`s.

Not sure I've ever heard of a 63cm and a 71cm 5 spd before. The FS5W71B used with the NAPS (and many others) is not 71 cm long. The 71 refers to the distance between the internal main shaft and the counter shaft in mm, that's 7.1 cm. The FS5W71B is a little over 31.5" long, or about 80cm. The short tail stock FS5W71B is about 26+" long or 67cm.

The NAPS 4X4 5spds were identical to the earlier L 5 spds for 1st gearing (3.592) the 'shorter 1st gear' (3.321) was used only on the 2wd trucks.

I've seen quite a few NAPS 5 spds but only one shorty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...