Finally!!

Jester

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is matchbox dist.? What did they come in?

I found a dist. from a z22 for $25. Were they in the "L" family?

Jester

Here is an EI (electronic ignition) dizzy (distributor). It is also known as a matchbox because of the obvious box on the side that holds the electronic components. To the right is the same dizzy with cap off and shows the four post reluctor that energizes the four post trigger coil. The black box, when triggered, will stop grounding through the coil and fire the plug.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Eidizzy.jpg[/img]"]Eidizzy.jpghttp://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Eidizzy.jpg[/img][url="EIdizzymatchbox.jpg"]EIdizzymatchbox.jpg

There is also a second, earlier design called a remote igniter. It is has a larger 'box' that is mounted in the cabin of the car and therefor isn't really a 'matchbox' EI even though it works the same. Here's a remote igniter distributor with cap off. It has the four posts, but only pass the trigger coil one at a time unlike the top one where all four line up at the same time.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg[/img]"]EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg

The remote igniter came in the '78 620 trucks and the earlier '76 and up, California models. They were changed to the 'matchbox' design the next year in '79, and were also used in the first year 720s, with the L20B engine. L series Matchbox dizzies were last used in the '79 200sx and probably earlier for that model car.

They would also, probably, have been used with any late '70s L20B engine and would fit any L series 4 cylinder. Nice EI up-grade!!!

Unfortunately a Z22 matchbox distributor was used with two coils to fire 8 plugs on the Z series motors. I never tried it but if you just ran one set with the one coil it should work (in theory) on an L series motor. It would look a bit funny.:D

Here's a Z motor distributor with the 8 plug wires.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Z18ET4-2.jpg[/img]"]Z18ET4-2.jpg

The Z series is a direct decedent of the L series motors. The Z20 and Z22 block is similar to the L20B in height and size and many internal and external parts will swap. The Z24 block is taller and internally wider for the longer crank throws but again similar in many ways. The heads are totally different but will swap. The NAPS Z series heads have 2 plugs per cylinder, so of course, the EI dizzy will have 8 wires on it.

Another way to check for TDC is to wad up a piece of toilet paper or paper towel and stick it in the plug hole for #1(like youre plugging a bloody nose, dont shove it in all the way, just enough for it to get a "seal"). Turn the motor over until it pops out (youll hear it) and adjust by hand off the timing mark to 0 degrees. You can do the screwdriver trick to make sure that the piston is at the very top.

Good luck

Getting the #1 piston to TDC is not a problem. The problem for me is getting the rotor to line up were it's suppose to be. I need to get out there and take a look and see if the 11:28 thing is correct. If not then I will drop the oil pump and retime the shaft. That is, as soon as the rain stops. LOL

Jester