From B-Body Sedan to tiny from Japan

Drakoe1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guys!

Hey Man glad you finally saw it haha. Can't wait to get to work on her more over the summer! Finals in 2 weeks has stopped everything except getting her ready to drive upto chicago two weekends from now.

Little Update though. Today finally wired up the tach and well she works so I'm happy :) Now just have to figure out why the temp gauge is working off and on and try and get the Parking brake light to be more consistent as well. And as long as I'm working on th dash try and get the spedo to be more accurate, the Miles are spot on but the speed is off something terrible haha

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, finally a fully working dash :) Such a beautiful thing. And not too soon either haha. Got back in chicago yesterday with the Datsun, this time only driving through rain and not a full blown bizzard lol. She made it all the way no faults but then after dropping off my fire at Firestone for the caprice things changed... Well at some time the PO put a 5 blade fan on her with an aluminum spaced behind it that puts it literally a 1/4" or less away from the radiator. Well the center screw that was pres fit in there came loose while driving and scored a pretty nice donut shaped ring into the radiator so she's leaking like a sieve now. Was able to get her home with out overheating but needless to say she's done for a lil bit. But hey means I get to get a new radiator and install an electric fan so I can't complain ;) I love an excuse to go to the U-Pull it

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, done with the first year down at siu and outta comm college 5 A's one B haha. and now I'm broke and bored... Man waiting for work to start up sucks sooooo much. Luckily I've been able to stay semi busy with what money I have. So I started off the week off with taking care of that radiator. Got her fixed up at a lil shop and put that back in. Man was that way easier not having to pry on the core support to clearance the bottom tank from the fan. Took all of about a half n hour compared the the hour or more it took prying and yanking on it the last time to get it outta there. And with that I still had a bunch of daylight to kill so I went about running some extra wire I had laying around for the future relocating of the battery. Had some 0 and 4 gauge wire lying around so I went too it. 0 seems a bit ridiculous but hey it's free and don't know what else I'd use it on so figured why not and finished off the night putting the passenger seat back in and cleaning the inside a bit. Then the sun rose and from there the real fun and creativity began.

The damage the fan did

C97W2372.jpg

lol, overkill? haha

C97W2374.jpg

C97W2377.jpg

C97W2382.jpg

Went to the local u-pullit over on the east side of good ole aurora and walked around in the rain looking for my 3 things.. A fan that'll fit, KA24DE Throttle body and some ford starter solenoids. The last ones ended being the easiest thanks to the nearly 3 rows of old ford crowns and marquis so I ended up with 5 decent looking solenoids so I'm all set for the battery move once I get a box. The next two ended up being a bit harder. The yard that I went too had nothing in the ways of imports so TB was a no go and finding a fan that wasn't deeper than 1" or two wide was pretty dismal... But as luck would have it I spotted a good ole B-body and headed over to see if I could get some parts for the caprice. Well everything I wanted was stripped but after staring at the radiator a bit and some quick measurements I found my fan smile.gif. So I walked out with 5 solenoids, 2 fans, a bunch of nuts bolts and a tire iron for the cappy it was a good day. So after a lil measuring, contemplating and utter confusion the cloud finally began to lift and my mind began to roll. With that it was off to farm n fleet to get some flat drilled iron and find a good hacksaw blade. A few hours later and I had a working relayed and fused fan. Once again kinda went with the overkill but I figured why not. Fan is a ridiculous 240 watt secondary fan from a 94 Caprice 9c1 cop car pretty sure the 150 watt would have worked but hey why not lol.

The fan

C97W2647.jpg

Bent metal to hold the fan off the radiator, man having a vise makes life soooo much easier

C97W2648.jpg

Installed front

C97W2649.jpg

Installed running, doesn't fit over all of the radiator but covers the same amount if not more than the stock one and moves a whole lot more air. And sounds like a beast while doin it haha

C97W2652.jpg

Also took the time to install my other find, a 74 beatle washer fluid bottle since my old one was in way of the fan.

C97W2656.jpg

Relay installed and wires cleaned up a little

C97W2657.jpg

Ended up moving relay off of brace as it heated up and wouldn't close, now it's all good though. Put the switch under the dash in one of the two holes by the hood release and vent knob. Can't really see it unless looking and it's real easy to get at smile.gif

I'll have to take a photo of the motor on the fan to show the true size compared to the primary.

haha, cdale ain't that bad... And actually that name does sound oddly familiar skib

mrs.swedland is the photo teacher a the HS and sometimes does stuff at SIU and her husband mr.swedland is a teacher at SIU IIRC

lol I hate to admit I know to much about cdale :rolleyes: I get around I guess...

Ah ok that makes sense then. I have a couple of friends in my photo major that went to cdale hs so that's where it sounds familiar from. Haha it's def not the worst place to know a bit about though.

Haha I gotta agree that moving out west would be sweet, if not ideal in the parts/car accessibility. Can't lie though I love it down here, this place is tooooo much fun

Ah ok that makes sense then. I have a couple of friends in my photo major that went to cdale hs so that's where it sounds familiar from. Haha it's def not the worst place to know a bit about though.

Haha I gotta agree that moving out west would be sweet, if not ideal in the parts/car accessibility. Can't lie though I love it down here, this place is tooooo much fun

hahahaha there where some good times, and shes a pretty rad lady. I just have some crappy history there that forever leaves a sour taste in my mouth haha :P

Ill prob never leave the west coast tho, unless its for going back Holland. to much rad car shit goin down here. :cool:

Ah I can feel that man... But yeah I gotta agree with you you'd be pretty hard pressed to get me of the west coast if I were to ever make it out there. Man with seeing the classifieds and the craiglist where everything is out there and a dime a dozen I'd have too much fun and stuff. For now though I think I'll just have to stick with the Illi and resort to trips out west sometime to visit a couple of friends that I have that way now.

Well I’ve finally gotten the cappy all squared away for the time being and life’s settled down a bit so I’ve been able to work on a few things on the datto. First off I finally updated the horribly undersized alt wire by backing up that scrawny little 12 gauge with a run of 4 gauge in anticipation of moving the battery to the trunk which will hopefully happen today I’m thinkin. Although the idea of 90 and humid isn’t exactly having me jump on out there, anyways that wire’s helped a bit already. Radio is much cleaner and stronger. Can turn up the bass ( not that it does a whole lot on these 89 ford 6x9’s) but the radio no longer cuts out and sounds like crap. Also When I have the Ipod plugged in I don’t have to drop it’s vol to nothing.

But took a few more pictures the other day after cleanin her up and finally some photos of my not so cool rust sad.gif.

C97W2798.jpg

C97W2799.jpg

C97W2800.jpg

C97W2802.jpg

C97W2803.jpg

Also does anyone remember this car? I bought it from a Jay down in FW Tx and he had said it was originally a NJ car and it appears to have spent some time in FL due to the Florida SCCA sticker on the bumper, and has two 510 Again stickers in the rear quarter windows too. Just interested if anyone knows the history of er.

7CEG1644.jpg

7CEG1648.jpg

C97W2794.jpg

C97W2805.jpg

• 5 months later...

Wow that summer went by fast... Well I didn't die but well I guess in a way neither did the Datto... Got a lot done this summer. Started off with some new seats, Black buckets from a 2 door that I got from a guy just south of chicago. Also picked up some Bosch H4 halogens from him too so the Datto's been shinin n ridin a whole lot nicer.

It was quite the busy summer and well now semester. Been shooting a lot and Tracy (the 510) got in on a few of em.

C97W6219.jpg

C97W6878RFE.jpg

And even made it into a car show when i went upto see a friends car in the downers grove friday shows. But like all good things they never seem to last long... On the way back to school the HG blew and that now brings me to where I'm at now... The accelerated KA push lol. Main things left at this point for this year before winter hits are installing a fuel pump, running lines and finalizing where to put the ecu. I'm hoping to get the crossmember I picked up flipped and welded up over the winter break.

But here's a few photos of the aftermath... Good ole chocolate milk

DSC_7552.jpg

and went ahead and cleaned up and reassembled the spare head I had incase I end up wanting to toss in the extra L16 I have... highly doubtful but never know. And it was good practice and a nice break from midterms to be honest.

DSC_7539.jpg

DSC_7540.jpg

And another picture of what I've been upto, Largest operating steam engine in the world :) And I just happened to be shooting on the same day it came into the STL.

C97W9363RFE.jpg

What up Dan! Liking the last update, is she runnin' on L power currently or still waiting for that cross member flip to really start the madness? Either way, I am always willing to come over and work on the dime with you. BTW I have the opportunity (and the finances) to pick up another 73' truck. It's in Georgia, which is about a 20Hr. trip total, but hey it's a Datsun right? If I can find a place to keep it, and my parents don't kill me for spending my money, I'll have another truck.

Thanks 67 411! Yeah man that thing was just massive... It was so cool to be able to get right up next to it, just amazing man.

That's awesome Trev! Man that would be sweet to get back into the game, and meh.... 20 hr's that's nothin lol... With good friends in the car it's a breeze. When we got the datto we just piled into the Minivan and headed out to texas after class one friday hahaha... 29hrs gone, of which 26 were on the road. It was awesome, so much fun man!

And right now she's powerless. Can't get her to turn one bit. So I'm thinking maybe I didn't wedge the tensioner tight enough and it slipped and is now jamming the chain but can't tell until I pull the front cover. Hopefully it's just that and I can get it runnin on L power but we'll see. And def will let you know when things get movin on her. Right now really just waiting on getting that crossmember flipped.

hey man great car I know how it is to have to drive to get your project. Went 36 hrs round trip from GA to OK to pick mine up. Left on a friday after work, picked up dad for some company and made it to OK before the sun came up, actually had to wait for the uhaul place to open to pick up the trailor. Loaded the car and turned and and burned. Was back in GA before the sun came up sunday mornning. Good luck with the swap!

I hear that Jputz... Yeah picking up the trailer at the destination is def one of the things we shoulda done lol.... Unloaded that thing bounced around like a 2yr old on crack, and made quite the racket too, coulda swore we lost that thing in arkansas when it finally settled down haha.