From B-Body Sedan to tiny from Japan

Drakoe1

Oh man made alot of strides this week after finally finishing my 5 weeks of 8-4:30 Sat n Sunday classes the work on the Datto has begun again. But due to my impatients its taken a little detour from the KA work lol. So I found out what was keeping the engine from spinning. When I measured the head for clearance I measured it for the dished pistons on the spare block not the domed ones on the cars block, ugh. But tomorrow rain or shine I'll be putting new soft gas and heater lines on it and fill er up and see what she does. Then I can drive and prep/work towards the KA swap and not die filling up the Cappy's 23 gallon tank at 3.40

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the beast is finally back... Yesterday at around 11:06am she caught and ran for the first time in 6 months.... Man I can't describe the excitement I felt at that moment. And man was it fun to run that thing round the block again, just the pep and attachment you feel to the road, it's nice. So now just need to clean up a few more things and then the continuance of the KA swap re begins.

Yesterday it was nice out and went up to one of the jy and got a KAe water outlet... couldn't pull anything else as all they had were trucks so no pulleys or brackets for me, gotta find a yard with a S13 and a harness.

• 1 month later...

Finally an update. Its been nice and non rainy so finally had a chance to get back to working on the 510. Mainly been doing comfort updates. Installed an old old jensen amp and finally replaced the cardboard rear speaker tray. 2 6x9s and a 8" DVC sub. Now to just make the box and to cut the vinyl to cover up the board.

lol couldn't find a compass so I made one out of arms for a magenetic dial indicator base

C97W3483.jpg

Cutting out the masonite cover

C97W3487.jpg

The old old Jensen 300w amp

C97W3240.jpg

Gotta cut the board down a little but there it is mounted

C97W3242.jpg

And for the longest time I always thought I was ghetto but my friend rolled up to the house today with this....

C97W3244.jpg

C97W3249.jpg

He drove with 40 or 50 miles with that mustang hatch seatbelted to the roof with both doors open lol

Really haven't been able to update as much due to school really picking up after spring break. Did finally get the battery in the trunk though. WHile these photos don't show it I do have a marine battery box that fits both the battery and the ford solenoid. Battery is tied down with those like 3/8" j hooks so its not goin anywhere anytime soon. Also installed my fuses on a little wood cutout that'll get painted later.

C97W3405.jpg

C97W3406.jpg

ps. Victoria's def worth a try

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing a little more work. Been driving the Oil Burner around for a bit now and well started to hear a delightfull squeak. So started this week after finals prepping my second set half shafts. No more crunch lol

Wonder why it was Squeaking lol

C97W4903.jpg

Getting the bearings out of this part was def the worse. Till I found out I could just press one side all the way through and still have room to remove the Cross piece.

C97W4905.jpg

Gotta love HF sometimes, Gets the work done

C97W4906.jpg

C97W4912.jpg

Also does anyone remember this car? I bought it from a Jay down in FW Tx and he had said it was originally a NJ car and it appears to have spent some time in FL due to the Florida SCCA sticker on the bumper, and has two 510 Again stickers in the rear quarter windows too.

Do you remember Jay's last name? I know most (if not all) of the 510 guys in the area. Might be able to find some history on it...

Well hadn't planned on swapping the radiator this early but removing the old one made working on the Alternator so much easier so I decided to go ahead and do it. Radiator I choose was the CU1557 for the Jetta. Install wasn't too bad at all. Now all that's left is to make upper mounts and figure out the hoses then I'm good to go.

The New Radiator Chillin waiting to go in the Mutt

7CEG1941.jpg

The old one, fan bold chewed that awesome Circle there. And that's probably the reason I over heated and blew the HG last year. There's about 7 runners or tubes or whatever that can't flow anything.

7CEG1956.jpg

Install was pretty straight forward. Just had to remove the horns and then set the radiator in place and marked out two holes for the bottom mounts. Painted them real quick after drilling to help prevent rust.

7CEG1942.jpg

The Mounts are actually the grommets that hold the backing plate of a Mazda wiper motor to the body. Saved em from when I swapped in the 626 motor for the dead Datto one. Just cut the grommet in half with a hacksaw and placed on half on top and the other below.

7CEG1947.jpg

7CEG1944.jpg

Had to trim the little lip off the base so that the shorter screws of the grommets would get full engagement.

7CEG1950.jpg

7CEG1948.jpg

And here it is installed with now upper mounts or hoses.

7CEG1963.jpg

7CEG1988.jpg

Well it was nice enough today to do some more work on the car after training for work. While up north for training I picked up a set of old Western Wheels. Really digging the look. And now can finally move forward on having Disc Brakes in the rears.

7CEG1974.jpg

7CEG1959.jpg

Now it's time to Clean up n paint the 13" Shelby's and runnem till they're bald. Then Disc Brakes :)

7CEG1961.jpg

After mounting those up I went to work on finishing the Radiator swap. Had to but two hoses to finish the Job. I went to my future place of employment, VatoZone and bought 2' of heater hose and 2 of these C70687 Hoses

7CEG1985.jpg

And then one 1 1/4" Copper Connector from the Home Depot.

7CEG1986.jpg

After that Just laid em out in the engine bay measured and then taped em for a straight cut and cut em to size with the good ole box cutter.

7CEG1990.jpg

7CEG1989.jpg

After that I installed the remote filler cap in the heater hoses. I moved it over and up by the strut housing so that its the highest point in the cooling system and also now has a mounting point. Filled it up and done :)

7CEG1991.jpg

7CEG1992.jpg

Now just to make some upper mounts and figure out the fan situation then I'm good to hit the roads again.

• 1 month later...

Decided to take a change in plans with the 510..... Lost 1st gear in the 9c1 so decided it was time to set her aside for now and pick up a more gas friendly DD for the time being. So picked up a lil civic. So now the contest of EFI FWD 1.6L vs Dual SU RWD (Right Wheel Drive) 510 begins. So gonna stick with the L16 architecture now to save money. Rebuild the spare L16 swap on a U67 Head and call it good. Till I get a job to build a Turbo KADE :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow after over a year I've finally been able to start driving her again... So a little synopsis on what's been going on... Last August rebuilt the engine, drop it in and she runs like a charm. Go out for the first test run and well the napa freeze plug heater blows out of the side of the block. With two days till school starts I just set her aside and focus on gettin out. Fast forward August 2012, I'm now graduated with both degrees, working as at Aisin and now dailying her. Just replaced the plug heater with a freeze plug, got a new cap n rotor and she runs like a dream. No cloud of smoke at stop signs, don't smell like gas after 5 minutes, it's beautiful

After getting her running the other week now looking to finally take care of the front suspension, as the cracked and dried boots on everything isn't doing anything any good. And gotta love this, everything made in Japan =)

C97W0898.jpgC97W0900.jpg

Also been working on my parts/ultimate grocery getter lately, was going through the shed looking for some some knobs for my heater control and found this old bag, talk about a throw back, anyone else remember Venture???

C97W0901.jpg

And the grocery getter ;)

_98W8091_RFE.jpg

Last weekend was swappin sway bars and new shocks... Can't have my datto parts collector/towing machine ridding sloppy

_98W8120.jpg

Finally reached 500 miles since the rebuild. So did n oil change and checked her out one last time before the long shakedown cruise. Put about 250 miles on here today and she ran like a top, minus one rather annoying issue... My fuel system. Have to figure out what exactly it is but my tank isn't breathing at all. I'll be driving along just fine and then suddenly she'll stumble and after about 5 seconds she'll be back to normal. Also the two times I stopped the car she would start right up just fine and I'd get about a 1/8th mile down the road and she'd just die. Finally figured it out in the parking lot waiting for the races to start. Seems the gas tank is getting sucked in, and then as it sits, it pulls gas back out of the lines leaving me to run on only what's left in the bowls.

• 1 month later...

Haven't been workin too much on er. But have been drivin her :w00t: ... Too much fun, one thing I do love about livin in southern illinois is the endless curvy roads to just romp on. Lastnight though finally took the plunge and bought last of my disc brake swap supplies because I'm getting a little too used to the smell of heated brakes. Time to upgrade

Got off work after a nice lil 14hr shift too the beautiful site of blue/white tape on the porch :thumbup:... 3 boxes down, one to go.

7CEG9798.jpg

Now normally I don't like fram products, but for an airfilter I'll use em, and how can ya go wrong with a 4 dollar washable one?

7CEG9800.jpg

All the goodies for the swap, hopefully start to work on this all during the weekend.

7CEG9801.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been slow with the updates due to work... We just installed 4 new machines on my assembly line and, well with anything new there's bugs. And man have there been a lot so working 16hr days and only being able to work by day of light's, kinda killed progress. Did get out yesterday between the rain and start work on the headlights and lubin up the rear end. Halfshafts are quiet n happy now. Now to finish installing the relays and new wire and I'll finally have Highbeams again. Then onto relaying the starter solenoid

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So like a lot of things, plans change... Originally bought this engine for my grey 521 to get it on the road, but... due to a blown ring on the L16 looks like it'll be taking up new residence in the 510 temporarily until I re-ring the L16 or finally get the L18 block I have machined.

C97W0907.jpg

This last weekend a buddy and I got to work pulling all the old emissions crap off of it. Still gotta get rid of a couple more things yet. Kind of want to check compression but have to figure out a way to rig the motor so that I can spin the starter with out tipping her over, maybe tomorrow be able to get some readings off of her.

Didn't take any photos of the motor getting pulled apart since it was dreary and rainy so didn't want to take the camera out there sunday. But saturday had a really nice day, I mean just look at that weather. Spent some time with my new paint rack errr scavanged swing set thing. With some tunes and a sunny day even made de-nailing more pallet wood enjoyable.

C97W0961.jpg

My Latest craigslist find :) I can now move large amounts of well, stuff from my shed/home too and from the garage without having to drive the car out there now. Really helps with the car battery that powers my lights and radio out there. Here it is moving a lot of my painting supplies.

C97W0966.jpg

New suspension parts getting ready for some good ole rustoleum.

C97W0968.jpg

C97W0962.jpg

Good ole Sony radio

C97W0967.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got her out from under the covers last week, and some how she started right up with no problems... So seems like the hesitation and miss that she had last fall has taken a slight hiatus. But with that gone my clutch is finally showing her age. Last year when I had the engine apart it was pretty close to being down to the rivits and I think it's finally hit that point. So looks like the L16'll be back n out here again.