Boise Datsun crew!

sick620

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home 10:45 & had to jump on theratsun...wow, you guys had a phenomenal showing & great to see some cars & trucks beyond what was expected. I kept the lumbering bus at 55 from La Grande to Troutdale and back...yow it was a blast furnace down the Gorge late afternoon; plenty of boilovers and shutdowns the whole way coming and going. I took the pug & those types of dogs you really gotta keep hydrated and cool.

One time about 15 years ago, I took a 620 kingcab down to Boise (have this penchant to raid The Record Exchange's vinyl LP section once in awhile) and it was the hottest day of the year. Pulled over in Huntington for awhile, and I guess when I got out of town eastbound, the radiator hoses got real supple under that hot hood in the sun and things pretty much melted. I remember running down off the freeway and tipping jugs of water out of Burnt River and trying to keep it cooled down...managed to limp into Durkee where I scored a few rolls of duct and electrical tape and got things wrapped up tight enough to inch my way all the way back to La Grande by midnight. Yowzah you just gotta keep an eye on that temp. guage & turn the heater on going up those long grades...really scarey today with an aircooled VW that I haven't really taken out for a long haul on a scorcher like today was.

The highlight was the Celilo Village pow-wow and campout at their park about mp 97; saw one drop dead gorgeous baywindow bus but the people around it were engaged in a jam session, so I just parked next to them and listened in for awhile & let the dog romp around a bit. Lots of cool classic cars driving around, but no Datsuns...closest thing was a Frontier.

Ought to get the red '71 521 rolling again so I can park it between the two blue ones (!-nice!)...simple carb fix, but the snafu is the title transfer. The PO signed off on the wrong line & moved away...and the DMV won't turn it over to my name. The truck was bought brand new in Baker City, and between something like four owners, it's been everywhere between the Yukon to deep into Mexico...so a little trip to Boise should be a piece of cake.

Interesting they put that on the Boise c'list instead of East Oregon. Nobody reads the Eastern Oregon craigslist. Too much garbage on there. Sleds, appliances, tack and rusty tools!

I'm tellin ya those 5-speeds are fantastic. Just feels great going on up into 5th. That extra gear gives you that bonus speed and mileage without winding up the rpm's so high. I always catch myself when driving the longbed w/the 4-speed shifting it to the upper right at around 40 mph...arrrgh!

I had a '74 620 regular I drove a bit until a couple summers ago...it seemed the engine noise through the firewall was a bit more prevalent than the '78 and '79; I'm told at the time--around 1976 that Datsun did a bit of work with acoustic insulation between the engine and the cockpit ??? Still great runabouts, but for a days' worth of freeway driving, you sure hear the whine in your inner ears when you're trying to go to sleep at night.

Another drawback of those earlier trucks was the lack of double-walling the tailgate and sides of the bed. You always see the dents peppering the sides of those older trucks like a load of gravel rattled around back there or a sideways hailstorm blew through.