idea for a shifter

So I got to thinking about my shifter handle and how this stock ball looks well.. bland... I just happened to have the idea hit me out of the blue it was making my own sword handle for my shifter. http://pages.prodigy.net/tlbuck/tsuka/tsuka.htm I found these instructions and think I'll make myself my own custom shifter.

myself I really don't care if it looks goofy to others, I think it would be awesome and fits the car since its a datto.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a great idea and I encourage you to express yourself... it's your car right. Personalize it!

I used to have a new '70 Dart 4 speed. Everyone then had those Hurst T handle shifters, you know, the solid aluminum shift knob shaped to fit you hand. So of course I got one and put it on. I found that the position that worked best for 1-2 and 3-4 wasn't good for the critical 2 up and over to 3 shift resulting is a balky shift the faster you tried. On top of this they were much heavier than the stock knob and felt like a brick in your hand. If you drove with your hand resting on it, it felt odd. On power shifts there was a tendency to grip it too well and pull backwards and up... hard to explain.

I threw it away and returned the stock round ball. Light and fit your hand perfectly. Worked like a ball joint and swiveled in the palm of your hand allowing your wrist to flex naturally through 1-2-3-4 . The point is, it may be interesting to look at, and a sword handle may be designed to fit your hand but it's intended for a different use than an upside down position and shifting gears.

My use was more for street performance use where it mattered how fast and hard you could shift. For a DD this isn't so important, for an auto-X it might.

It's a great idea and I encourage you to express yourself... it's your car right. Personalize it!

I used to have a new '70 Dart 4 speed. Everyone then had those Hurst T handle shifters, you know, the solid aluminum shift knob shaped to fit you hand. So of course I got one and put it on. I found that the position that worked best for 1-2 and 3-4 wasn't good for the critical 2 up and over to 3 shift resulting is a balky shift the faster you tried. On top of this they were much heavier than the stock knob and felt like a brick in your hand. If you drove with your hand resting on it, it felt odd. On power shifts there was a tendency to grip it too well and pull backwards and up... hard to explain.

I threw it away and returned the stock round ball. Light and fit your hand perfectly. Worked like a ball joint and swiveled in the palm of your hand allowing your wrist to flex naturally through 1-2-3-4 . The point is, it may be interesting to look at, and a sword handle may be designed to fit your hand but it's intended for a different use than an upside down position and shifting gears.

My use was more for street performance use where it mattered how fast and hard you could shift. For a DD this isn't so important, for an auto-X it might.

I can't stand those t-handle shifters, my bug had one and it was awful.

I know! Looks like a great idea but heavy and clunky in operation. Dodge did come out with a pistol grip shifter.

pistol.jpg

I have tried it but again your hand is fixed in that position whereas a ball allows your hand to swivel around for proper grip.

BTW the idea isn't dorky. It would look very cool in a jap car. I imagined it as a sword sticking up out of the floor. Perhaps if the handle part was the right side up so you hand gripped it with imaginary point towards the roof? Would you also use a Japanese equivalent of a hilt on top?