My girlfriends 200sx SE-R.... Dead.

DSC03240-1.jpg

Well, we found my girl a '96 200sx SE-R last year- had to do some work on it- broken engine mount- stripped bolt in the block ect...

but we got it running good and fast! she's been driving it to LA for the last few weeks for work. I got a call the other day saying that it had overheated and died.

so, i had her tow it home and let it cool down.

got to looking at it last night-

water neck on the stock (plastic) radiator looks like it failed and pissed all the coolant out. No problem, new rad right??

NOPE.

Tried to fire it up while cold- made this lumpy, lethargic turn-over noise- sounded like only one cylinder was even trying to catch- wheezing.

tried to pull the sparkplug wires... melted to the head. terrible smell after trying to turn it over.

don't see any oil in coolant or vice versa.

i fear that it got so hot that it warped the head and probably popped the headgasket...

not sure if i should even bother working the head or just look for another motor... the block is aluminum, not iron, so that may be tweaked too...

good thing SR20's are plentiful!

anyone want to buy a project???

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want the stock engine? I could look down here and see what I can find. I might have to use the (Red Phone) for this one.

you have a batphone?????!!!! i need it.

i'm not sure what i'm gonna do with it yet- i want to get her into a set of reliable wheels first, and then i'll tackle the SE-R.

maybe sell it as is....

(LYNCH- i KNOW you want another SE-R !!! :) make with the VVL SR20ve...)

(LYNCH- i KNOW you want another SE-R !!! :) make with the VVL SR20ve...)

ooohhhh nooo, mine already has a healthy apitite for cash..

dude seriously, spend some cash, get a neovvl engine for it.. the swaps easy..

engine: 900

clutch kit: 350ish

get a nistune ecu its 550 said an done but seriouly well worth it, u can tune it with a laptop an the softwares hella user friendly.. thats if you Wanted to tune it, other wise you can just spend like 250ish an get the ecu with the correct file on it ready to go..

header 150

exhaust 350

fluids an misc shit 200 or so as a safety

all well worth it!

that car is in by far better condition then my gf's G20, an im droppin a VE in there any day now :P

Hey Ben it says don't park in front of the dumpster,

If you need help with an engine swap I know couple of JDM import guys, And I have a guy renting part of my shop that can do the install. P.M. me if you need to. I'll give ya my #

I would just get anothe used low mileage or healthy motor and swap out. way cheaper and those motors are actually reliable given you do basic maintenance

If the girlfriend drives it and she isnt up on watching the gauges throw in another low milage stocker. If its just going to overheat and die because she keeps driving it i wouldnt spend too much on a good motor that might come to an untimely demise. Just my two cents. :cool:

Sorry the red phone didnt help me out today. But they do sell for 350-500 used jdm...

http://www.makotoengines.com/contact.html

http://www.nippon-motors.com/nissan.htm

http://g-speed.sub.jp/l-e/

Good thing you didn't buy that diff huh! Shit like that happens... It weird how things end up...

you know, i was just thinking, after we left the yard... "maybe i didn't get that rear end for a reason..." yes, things happen a certain way for a reason!

that project will just have to wait... thanks for looking at motors for me!

Hey Ben it says don't park in front of the dumpster,

If you need help with an engine swap I know couple of JDM import guys, And I have a guy renting part of my shop that can do the install. P.M. me if you need to. I'll give ya my #

Thanks John! i would love to have the cash to just have someone take care of the install for me.... but you KNOW it's goin to be my knuckles and blood on that thing in the end :) I think you would rather do it yourself too hehe

If the girlfriend drives it and she isnt up on watching the gauges throw in another low milage stocker. If its just going to overheat and die because she keeps driving it i wouldnt spend too much on a good motor that might come to an untimely demise. Just my two cents. :cool:

def on my mind... she's usually pretty good about paying attention to stuff like that- she did pull off as soon as it started getting hot, but it was already too late... time for a temp guage with a warning light and an ALL ALUMINUM radiator !!! the stockers are some plastic shit!

wow, re-reading this i realized i had read something similar recently..

http://www.sr20-forum.com/general-sr20/28069-pretty-sure-i-need-new-engine-now-pics.html

that guy had the same problem lol

yeah, i read that with dread in my heart... :( same thing

shoulda bought a koyo rad long ago.... live and learn

lol, my lil radiator seems to do a really good job, but ya ima get a koyo when i can offord it lol

have ya checked my thread out lately? lol

yep! i've been wondering if you got all the prothanes mount inserts in...??? liking?

nope not yet, gotta get the VE in my gf's g20 first... then im gonna do a bunch of shit to my car..

my friend has like 2 or maybe 3 of the prothane mounts an they vibrate like a mofo... lol but eh i dont care

G20(T maybe) is definitely on the list for possible replacement vehicles...

i want to get her something for now, and i'll fix the SE-R later.

yeah, i read that with dread in my heart... :( same thing

shoulda bought a koyo rad long ago.... live and learn

I can get you an all aluminum rad for less than 150$ new. I got the hook up on that... I had the hook up on motors but the company went out of business... I wonder why? :rolleyes: LOL!

Well I really wish you keep it. But who knows...

I can get you an all aluminum rad for less than 150$ new. I got the hook up on that... I had the hook up on motors but the company went out of business... I wonder why? :rolleyes: LOL!

Well I really wish you keep it. But who knows...

thanks Adam- it'll be a bit before i put any money toward fixing it... gonna find a runner first.

• 10 months later...