Questions about the 521

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

521 trucks were made from 1968 or 9 to mid 1972. The earlier truck, the 520 is fairly close, but many parts of the 620 will work too.

Engine bolts and fasteners on the 521 are metric.

Body bolts are English. This includes brake lines.

Threaded tapered pipe fittings on the engine are British.

The early 521 trucks has a J-13 engine, it has a painted blue stamped steel valve cover.

Fairly quickly the J-13 was replaced with the L-16 engine. It has a cast aluminum valve cover.

Your fuse box will probably need some TLC, or even replacement.

You need to add some good heavy grounds to the following places.

Engine to Frame

Engine to cab. Make sure the bolts holding the voltage regulator are clean, tight and have a star type lockwasher on them. There should be some heavy black wires going to one of the bolts on voltage regulator

Frame to bed

Do lots of reading in these forums. There is a lot of information already here.

You will be requested to post pictures very soon.

Welcome aboard man! :cool: 521s are pretty neato little trucks. Watch for wheel bearing issues as they are "out of print" as it were! <_< Keep them adjusted and lubed...loads of brake options are out there for your upgrading pleasure! Mklotz builds em and when I last checked at least 1 or 2 others on here did too...do a SEARCH for almost all of your 521 needs right here on your Galactic Ratsun Fixem-up store! :D

Im new to the datsun world. I am currently restoring a 1969 datsun 521 and i was just wondering what year they started manufacturing 521's? I also have another question... What parts on other datsun pickups are most compatable with the 521 but keeping it somewhat original?

Alot of the parts on the 521 and the 520 are pretty much interchangeable. On some parts there are very slight difference that can be worked out. Example: I have a '70 521 and my left front fender is off of a '69 and the right off of a '71. Both fenders have antena holes in them... now only one does. other then that, the fenders are the same. A few differnces in the front end that can't be worked out like head lights, in 1967 the 520 was redesigned to have four head lights instead of two, there are some other things changed depending on the year.

The 520 was built from 1965 - 1968.

The 520 was built from 1969–1972, replacing the 520. Also, interesting fact, the 521 was the first "Mini truck" that was able to boast being a 1/2 ton pick up.

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

:P :D

First thing is that you will need to Search under this heading in the search box... :P

There is a sticky in the General Discussion section that gives all the specifics.

You will need to use Photobucket or similar host site and then just type your response in Ratun like you already are doing, hit enter once in the response box so that it gives you a space between your text and the picture, then copy the "IMG info" from Photobucket and paste it into your response. WE should be seeing pics really soon...unless something else is wrong...at which point you just need to contact someone smart to help. :rolleyes:

Here is a picture just to help ease the lack of color in this thread. :P

317de3d8.jpg