Drum vs Disc Brakes ???

sicAsic

i'm contemplating whether to change my front drum to disc brakes. i'm setting up my truck as a cruiser, if i can maintain the drum i would. just concern about the performance of drum brakes, need advise?

thank you for your comments and suggestions.

giles

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the drums do work. if youre just gonna cruise you could stick with them. but you are from san fran, hills and crazy drivers. might be nice to be able to panic stop when needed. drums are self energizing brakes, so it helps the power of them without as much effort from your foot. there prolly are still members here on the site that still have drums, me not being one of them. i did the hardbody brake swap and love it.

Look at it this way, if drums were better modern day cars would still have drums. There is no comparison of the stopping power of disc vs. drums. There will be some who argue that carbs are better the fuel injection too....REALLY?

Carbs do have some benefits... One is I heard that you can get MORE hp on a carb set up that an fuel injected set up... I have not seen many dragsters with injected setups....

Carbs do have some benefits... One is I heard that you can get MORE hp on a carb set up that an fuel injected set up... I have not seen many dragsters with injected setups....

thats because computer systems cant keep up with whats going on in a dragster motor on a 6 sec run :rofl:

theres an article on this head guru of drag racing in one of my hot rod mags and he actually goes over why they dont use EFI

What are you guys talking about? Top fuel dragsters use fuel injection. Not normal EFI, but mechanical, and laid out much differently, but it's still fuel injection - they certainly don't use "carbs" in the typical sense of the word.

I never said anything about carbs, I said they dont use EFI (electronic fuel injection) because the computer cant keep up

but anyway back on topic, go disk up front, youl never regret it.

I find that disc are easier to modulate if braking (non panic) on soft surfaces like dirt/mud/gravel or wet. If the brake locks you can lift slightly and get your steering back while continuing to slow. Drums tend to feel on or off.

In a panic situation we slam them on full force and hold them, forget modulating them. The disc seems to require more force to lock so locking them is less easy which is an advantage over drum. (just my experience here)

Disc will definitely be better if braking repeatedly. Heat does not affect them the same way as drum brakes.

Drum brakes require adjustment for wear and many parts like the adjusters seize up. Drums have many more parts to go bad than calipers

Hello Giles -- It's Al, I bought the green 620 fender from you.

I'd say that if it's in the budget, you won't be unhappy with the conversion. If it's not, just keep them adjusted, and they work adequately well. Just have reasonable expectations for the drums - don't think they'll work well with heavy loads, on steep downhills, or when pulling a trailer.

i'm contemplating whether to change my front drum to disc brakes. i'm setting up my truck as a cruiser, if i can maintain the drum i would. just concern about the performance of drum brakes, need advise?

thank you for your comments and suggestions.

giles

I did the hardbody disc swap on my 521 a few months ago. They are night and day better than the drums for all the reaons everyone's stated so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the hardbody disc swap on my 521 a few months ago. They are night and day better than the drums for all the reaons everyone's stated so far.

I dont care for my drum brakes that much either, What disks and calipers did you use? was it hard to convert?

it is a question of $$. if you can afford to do the swap PROPERLY, then i would do it. but if your like me, not a lot of cash, then you just work with what ya have. i WILL do the disk swap eventually but not right now. cant afford it. the drums are a PITA to always have to adjust but they work fine for most jobs.