1970 datsun 510 wagon build

sean1978

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo looks great but you hear that alot. one ez idea weld some caster on a old front cross member and bolt it up make rolling the car around very ez. I painted a friends wagon awhile ago. we used a sedan gas door and filler box and welded it in to the side of the wagon. No need for a pricey cap. and gas doesn't flow do the side of a great paint job either when you get gas. Good luck with the rest of your build.

recent purchases:

T3 front coilover conversion for 280zx struts:

fco_01.jpg

T3 camber plates:

cp_01.jpg

T3 T/C rods:

tcr_01.jpg

T3 roll center adjusters:

rca_01.jpg

- random ebay 280ZX drilled/slotted rotors (for looks really)

- the entire steering system (inner and outer tie rod ends, idler arm, center link)

- datsport steering box brace (USDM version)

SBS-v350.jpg

- fancy stainless brake line kit:

sbl-510-12_psx.jpg

- polyurethane bushing kit:(ended up not needing a lot of this stuff)

still need to order a BMC, rear wheel cylinders, and front 280ZX calipers.

I'm concentrating on suspension and brakes as they will need to get put back together very, very, soon. Next round of purchases will be for my KA24DE.

today's progress

19833_1335596425385_1095313702_1006461_6038836_n.jpg

Will you give us some info and pics of how you sand blasted the Goon. I would love to do the same to mine.

soda blasted, it's a lot more gentle. I found a guy on craigslist here with a moble sandblasting company (he's got a van) who came to the place that my car is and did it for $600

the metal is smooth after soda blasting. Looks like it was never painted.

I sure hope you did something to nuetralize the metal after the soda blasting. if you didnt, your going to run into some severe adhesion problems very soon.

On a side note. No paint manufacturer will ever warranty any of their product if your vehicle was soda blasted.

Car looks great!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

I sure hope you did something to nuetralize the metal after the soda blasting. if you didnt, your going to run into some severe adhesion problems very soon.

Read about this on the internet a few placed, but the places the guy works at who is doing my body work does it all the time. The entire surface of the car had to be cleaned and sanded after the soda blasting as the surface of the metal was too smooth for paint to adhere to. I'm guessing a lot of the people with adhesion probelems didin't scuff the surface before priming.

Anyway should be re-assembling the car next week.

Yeah there are a few ways to clean it. Warm soapy water is the only thing that works. heres some more info for you:

http://spi.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=156&mforum=spi

This is what all my paint reps have told me, and even if the car is cleaned properly, they will no warranty any of their products you may use. I hope you dont have any problems with your because its already looking badass!!

So your going KA powered??? KA24e or LA24de?????

Anyway should be re-assembling the car next week.

I tell you what, you guys don't waste any time! I LOVE IT! :D

Thanks for the info on the soda blasting.

Keep up with pics!

KA24DE swap.

Started putting it back together tonight. Will be working on it agian after work on thursday and friday and will continue all weekend. Have to move it to a new location to finish it up in about 2 weeks.

I'm gonna have to order a new headliner, brake master, 280ZX calipers, pads, and various rubber seals on friday.