Fixing frame rail rot??

What are your opinions on fixing my frame rails. Specifically the upper fender frame rails. I found a good amount of rot in them and I'm curious as to what can be the best fix and preventative measures. i see that some Z shops sell pre cut pieces that you just weld on top of the existing rail. Anything like that exist for dimes? Here are the pics of the cancer.

realm post

As you can tell it's rotting from the inside out. Is there anything I can spray in there to stop the RAST! I'm already going to por15 the shite out of it.

Thanks guys

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some of this going on too. I already started cutting out the bad stuff and making some cardboard templates to fab some steel panels. Going to have a friend weld them in, then seal everything up. Looking at the car without fenders, it's pretty easy to see how the water has been getting in there all this time.

now my next question is... Who wants to help me? lol I have basically no experience with body work and I want it done right. I can learn on some other piece of shite, not my dime. haha

PS. whats up with this ranger in my avatar? i didnt do that?

now my next question is... Who wants to help me? lol I have basically no experience with body work and I want it done right. I can learn on some other piece of shite, not my dime. haha

Look at post #2 :cool:

PS. whats up with this ranger in my avatar? i didnt do that?

• 3 weeks later...

now my next question is... Who wants to help me? I can learn on some other piece of shite, not my dime. haha

damn! :angry: i was hoping to learn on your POS and not my POS! <_<

If this is a prime rust area can a drain hole be added?

it drains to the section that rots on the fender. :rolleyes:

mine was from an accumulation of years off road dirt and no baths. the fender had never been removed. salt would make it happen that much faster.

the build up of dirt allowed water to take a different path and collect along the rail.