I need a compressed height of the front coil spring

what is the compressed 510 front coil spring height ?

I have a stock spring for my 71 wagon that I would like to mount to a 280zx strut and use the stock springs for the 510. If someone knows or could measure the stock spring height under full compression of a normal load I could really use that info to figure out where to mount my spring perch on the ZX strut.

If your measuring please make sure you measure a car that has the original configuration and has all components still attached. IF its missing an engine or something it will skew your measurement.

In the end I have to figure out my spring height and then drop it another 2 inches and check that my tires clear.

Thanks

Ray

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a press? If so, just stick the spring in there and see when it approaches coil bind. That's what I do with mine. Also, if you know the dimensions of your stock spring, chances are there is one very similar to it that Eibach makes. If there is, their catalog has compressed and free length info, it's available in PDF format.

Personally I'd use the chance to switch to a stiffer spring. The stock springs are pretty marshmallowy.

So what your trying to do is figure out the stock ride height to determine where to set the perch for lowering the ride height.If so i saw something on the dime quarterly showing a ratsun coil-over system where they used a muffler clamp to hold the perch in place.they drove around with but i wouldn't trust it. Hope you see where im going with this.so this way you can set the perch where ever, tighten the clamp, let the car down, roll it back and forth, and see where your ride height is and if its to low or too high make your adjustments where they need to be.Make your mark once you get it where you want it then weld the perch to the strut casing and your good to go.I know this is not what you stated but i think it should help.I looked at the dime quarterly and coulnt find it on there site but i know it was in one of there magazines.its gonna be hard to find a stock 510 with stock unmodified suspension so many of them have been fucked with. so i think this is the best method to determine were to set your ride height. hope this helps.

• Like 1